[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of albums  ~  Koffin Kats-Our Way or the Highway
DeadKittyKatz
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:18 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

Originally I was a bit critical of this album for a variety of reasons. But it is growing on me. At first it seemed like an album that was only about drinking and partying...and yes that is a lot of the album but there are some more horror inspired songs on the album. Also, only one song hits the 3 minute mark, which is rather disappointing. One thing that the Koffin Kats always have going for them is that they capture the power of metal music. Not necessarily the sound (though there is definitely influence) but the energy behind the music. Once again they succeed at capturing the energy. However, there is a bit more of a metal feel to the album as a whole. I am not going to say if this is absolutely a good or bad thing-it is really more of a personal opinion. However its definitely the koffin kats sound.

The vocals are fantastic, and as a whole the songs are as well (not a huge fan of the devil asked...its one of the most metally song). Locket of Sin is a fantastic song about terrible people. The Koffin Kats are known for pushing the limits of their sound and their insane live shows, and this album is no different. They challenge your expectations of a psychobilly band, and the difference in sound is a definitely a change from what you are probably used to.

So it is a very good album as a whole. But it does have its flaws (a bit too metally for some, a bit repetitive in song theme at times). It may be a bit early in the year, but I think it is safe to assume it might be one of my favorite albums to come out this year, and unless there is a flood of astonishingly amazing material I think it is safe to say it will be a contender.

If you are a fan of the band, you will like the album. If you aren't a fan of the band then you won't (or quite possibly this could be the only album you like). If you aren't familiar with the band I don't think it should be your first album.
AL
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:31 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

Hmmm not sure if I will get this one, I thought 'forever for hire' was average and it strayed a bit to far away from the 'billy' feel there earlier stuff had for my liking! I was a huge fan of the first album and also inhumane and straying from the pack were great. I reckon they started to go down hill with drunk in the daylight..but that's just my taste I guess! Not much into metal really.... Having said that I will probably end up getting it just out of interest! Very Happy