[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of albums  ~  Mojokings 'Whatever Happened To Rock'n'Roll?'
Paul Mojo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:54 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

This review is taken from Rockabilly Online, March 2011.

“Whatever happened to rock ‘n’ roll” is the title of the new album by Mojokings. If that is a question, the answer would be: Mojokings are what happened to rock and roll. A perfect combination of garage, trash, psycho-rockabilly and hard rock and roll.

The cd is recorded at The Mill Studio in Winfarthing over the Summer and Autumn of 2010 and is to be released on March 4th 2011 on Bad Soul Records.

Superb guitarwork by Paul Scoulding and a pounding rhythmsection: Olly Simmonds on drums and Richard Scoulding on the double bass.

This album will have you kicking and screaming until the neighbors go nuts. Nine original tracks and three covers. Wish they did twelve originals because their own songs are so powerful, this band has no need to do anybody else’s songs.

Hope the bookers wake up and put this band on the bill for festivals across Europe. They need to be right up there with the Reverend Horton Heat, Living End and Motorhead. Must have for anyone, who considers themselves rock and roll (not for the weakhearted).

Note on the side, keep an eye out when they play “I wanna see you naked”. They might mean YOUR girl "

Review from Rockabilly Online. March 2011.

DaFey
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:37 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Haven't buy it, but by the tracks on the site... great album... Cool

LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:24 am  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

Quality album. These boys get better and better! Cool

The natural successors to Hot Boogie Chillun's crown

richards
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:42 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

From the forthcoming May edition of Scootering Magazine:

“Meanwhile, the guitar wears many hats throughout this album, each of them well I hasten to add. The instrumental Chet Head for example celebrates the American Country and Jazz guitarist, yet manages to give you the feeling that at any minute the band could burst into Ace of Spades while all the time rockin’ along. Brilliant!”

and

“This album takes me back to the 80s and nights at The Klubfoot for all the right reasons, one big one being that rather than following the crowd The MojoKings have carved out their own direction in this field. Point your browser towards http://www.mojokings.com to learn where to buy a copy ASAP, - you won’t regret it! “

richards
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:13 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

Full review from Scootering magazine (May 2011)

MojoKings – Whatever Happened To Rock ’n’ Roll? (Bad Soul)
This three-piece Garage Rockabilly band hail from sunny Norfolk and released this 12 track CD in March. Containing nine self-penned numbers and three well selected covers, you know where MojoKings are coming from as they storm into their first song that’s also their title track. It’s a damned good question too, by the way, and by the sound of things this lot are intent on bringing real music back to the masses.

They cite influences from Chet Atkins to Motorhead (and you can certainly hear a few guitar licks inspired by them), Chuck Berry to Queens of The Stone Age, rockabilly, psychobilly, blues and 70s punk, among others, resulting in a fast and furious sound that retains the ability to be musical. So no, it’s not simply thrash and noise.

The slap bass cuts through guitar chords and pounding drums in its own distinct way, managing to seem at home through all the inspirational genres, and allowing the vocals to flip from a sense of Guana Batz too. Meanwhile, the guitar wears many hats throughout this album, each of them well I hasten to add. The instrumental Chet Head for example celebrates the American country and jazz guitarist, yet manages to give you the feeling that at any minute the band could burst into Ace of Spades while all the time rockin’ along. Brilliant!

And then I’m a Red Blooded Boy arrives following a cover of Dirty Robber (originally by US rockabilly outfit The Wailers, then covered by The Sonics), heavy and with effects on the guitar, the White Stripes spring to mind here. A cover of the Undertones’ Teenage Kicks rocks on nicely before we go ‘deep south’ and are slowed down by You’re a Long Time Dead. Chick Berry pays homage to the 50s legend of a similar name at a suitably fast pace, and then eventually we come to a close with a cover of Paint It Black that lures you in with flamenco guitars before unleashing one last round of rockabilly/ psychobilly fusion.

This album takes me back to the 80s and nights at the Klubfoot for all the right reasons, one big one being that rather than following the crowd The MojoKings appear to have carved out their own direction in this field. Point your browser towards http://www.mojokings.com to learn where to buy a copy ASAP, you won’t regret it – unless of course your idea of a perfect Saturday night is staying in to watch the latest round of cheesy cover songs on TV’s The X Factor.

richards
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:14 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

From Rockabilly Bash.Com

Whatever happened to rock 'n roll??
That's an easy question, rock and roll is still alive with bands like Mojokings a combination of rockabilly, punk, psychobilly, rock and roll.
Paul Scoulding-singer and guitarist, his guitar sound gives a nod to the nasty side of 50’s rock’n’roll, Richard Scoulding-double bass slapping no mercy, Olly Simmonds-double kick drums thundering through your soul.
You get crazy in the head if you listen to this album in full stereo, scream and break every chair in your house, get crazy and wild.
Teenage Kicks is a briljant rocker cover version.
This trio from Essex England did play in Germany, about time they play in the Rambler in Eindhoven they will rock your socks off, so book them.
If you like Graveyard Johnny's, Three Bad Jacks, Peacocks, Vince Ray or the Caravans, buy this mojo album.

http://www.rockabillybash.com/reviews_content.php?id=315

richards
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 4:13 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

Review from Belgium site BILLY BOP http://www.billybop.be

Garage-Trash-Rockabilly, that is the self described genre for the new album Whatever happened to Rock and Roll by the Mojokings. Hailing from Braintree Essex / Harleston Norfolk, UK the ban released their first full album in 2008 and instantly received compliments from all over the world. With Whatever happened to Rock and Roll they bring together eight original Mojokings songs and add three cover versions to it. “Teenage kicks”, “Paint it Black” and “Dirty Robber” are included for your and their fun.

Immediately you get an idea on what diet these guys where when growing up. Traces of these and many other influences are found back in the Music of the Mojokings. From hard pounding rock and roll over psychobilly or raw bluesrock it is all included in this package. Leading track “Whatever Happened to Rock and Roll” kicks in with some good guitar work, tight skins and a slapping sound. “Hurricane” add some extra octane on the already high burning fire. Garage-Tash pur Sang! Moterhead riffs combined with Chet Atkins axe playing are the fundamentals in Chet Head. In “You’re long time dead” the band sounds like Dr. Feelgood helmed the studio when recording the song and on “I don’t Think I Like you anymore” yet another fast rocking blues tune that remembers me somehow of warm beer and cold barfood blasts out of your speakers

The album comes to a final note with “Paint it black” while you keep asking yourself “Whatever happened to Rock and Roll”… stop wasting your time on the 1000$ question, the answer is crystal clear! The Mojokings took over!Mr. Blue Boogie

richards
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:51 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

From UBER ROCK website http://www.uberrock.co.uk/cd-reviews.html

Seeing as the Mojo Kings are asking the question it would only be polite for me to reply with an honest answer. Fuck all happened to rock 'n' roll, it's in rude health and there is an underbelly in the UK where you don't have to scratch the itch too hard and a bloody good band will pop out. You can add the Mojo Kings to that bulging list on the evidence of this mighty fine collection of songs, both originals and covers, brandishing a sound that marries psychobilly, with its stand up bass pound and vocal style, to a raw, bitching punk rock 'n' roll guitar and some rock solid tight drumming.

Sure the influences from the 50s are evident but they have twisted the melon with a spike of punk rock and done a very impressive job in marrying the two styles. It's not about just sounding cool because these cats have arranged some pretty nifty tunes for our listening pleasure. 'Hurricane' sounds exactly like one blowing through the speakers with some impressive guitar slinging. Perhaps there is a small part of The Living End in here for obvious comparisons but this is more punk to the Living End's hard rock.

It's safe to say these boys would have one or two Brian Setzer records in the collection as well but that's a compliment not a criticism. 'Chet Head' has some wonderful riffing and bass slapping and from someone who ordinarily dislikes instrumentals this is very listenable stuff indeed and retained my attention to the bitter end.

All in all a very impressive and enjoyable release; 'I'd Like To See You Naked', 'I'm A Red Blooded Boy'....the list could go on but fuck it, there are too many good songs here to pick out one or two and I'd wager that played live these songs would kick up a proper naughty shitstorm. It's definitely something a little different and the playing is exceptional as is the songwriting, also top notch. The only down side is three covers. Not that they're bad, in fact one is positively banging, but 'Paint It Black' (been covered a million times and maybe there are other Stones songs to cover, however this is one of the better versions in fairness), 'Teenage Kicks' is given a retro kick up the arse but was it needed here? However the version of the Fabulous Wailers' 'Dirty Robber' is absolutely bitchin'; okay, so there's no honkin' horns here but that's fine because this is a blistering version of a great song (great choice, much more like it).

I expect to hear more from these boys in the future and would definitely recommend them to you good people out in Uber Rock cyberspace. When you're in the rock 'n' roll business and you manage to both rock and roll then the job's a good 'un and Mojo Kings do it with consummate ease. Nice one.

http://www.mojokings.com