Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of albums  ~  surf rats ~ killafornia
tobe
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:18 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

SURF RATS ~ Killafornia

Well ... another band to have reformed in recent times here ! & mighty pleased i am too !.
Originally from Birmingham area here in the u.k. , lead singer & guitarist Gaz still resides here but has gathered himself an all star psycho band around him ! : featuring Gaybeul on drums from the French band the Astro Zombies ( no longer tho ! ) & the superb slap bassist known as Fanthomas who has played with numerous bands on the scene including Frantic flintstones & The kings of nuthin ' no less !!.
I used to love the Surf rats earlier 80's stuff... so was expecting something special from them when i saw who the band members were !..... & i'm far from being let down i'll tell ya !.

TRACK 1 : intro ~ well .. this is funny on the 1st listen .. but i personally think it's a total waste of recording space to be truthful ! ~ but hey ho !... onto the music eh folks ?!!

TRACK 2 : cruel ain't the word i'd use ~ a fast "build you up" start to this track & it just belts out power , pace and quality ! ~ some mighty fine slappin , nice twangy guitar played at a real breakneck speed with the drums chuncky as f**k ! ~ Gaz's vocals are very "gruff" and come across as tho he's from the states !!.. but it works.. and works a treat ! ~ nice opener !

TRACK 3 : 6 foot girl ~ nice and speedy / mid paced number this one with a cool powerful slap bass grinding the whole thing along together with the impressive Gaybeul doing what he does best ! ~ some very neat guitar work again in here from Gaz and his vocal is pretty darn good too ( but ya gotta forget he's from Brum !!! haha ) ~ i could picture the guys belting this one out live onstage... which i intend on catching em doing so at some point !

TRACK 4 : lonely drive ~ an unusual , but welcome touch of organ starts this off which gives it a spooky feeling straight away !... now this one is a little slower than the previous tracks and i really dig it as you get more chance to listen to the content of the lyrics , which Gaz delivers with an almost "Tom Waits" whiskey soaked gruffness ~ not sure if he's a fan or not ?.. but it does remind me of him in places ! ~ the organ plays a nice kinda "spacey" part to this track and like i said it's a slower number that does genuinely work ! ~ a nice track .

TRACK 5 : killafornia ~ the title track of the c.d. and a very good track it is too ! ~ it comes over as telling a sad sorry tale of broken dreams out in Cali ~ very unusual set up this one.. but again , really works !.... some great fast psycho sounds , some almost "narrated" vocals during some of the slow pieces too and the musicianship just glows to a point that its sickening to someone like me who can't even play the spoons !!!.

TRACK 6 : rough rider ~ this number has some ace "voodoo style" drum beats to it in places , some neat "drifting" guitar breaks and the vocals are again sung with great power and confidence ! ... which makes me wonder why Gaz kinda drifted away from the psycho scene for a long time ?.. i know he kept on with some rockin projects , with Custom built being one of them ... but his style , stature seems to have been missing from the scene i think ?.... i know the surf rats were only ever a support band back in the heydays here ...but if they'd kept on going i reckon they could have been right up there with the best of em now !! ~ but how they have come back with this ... well lets just see what happens with them eh ?!! ~ back to the track... a top ditty in my opinion !!

TRACK 7 : juiced up ! ~ some cool rockin guitar licks get this off to a good start and it oozes quality again ! ~ some nice smutty lyrics to make ya smile ?.. or not ?!!! & this track seems to have a bigger focus on the "clicky" sound of the bass... which sits nicely alongside the drums throughout ! ~ yes.. another good mid paced track .... i'm wondering if i'll find a duff track on this c.d ?!!

TRACK 8 : hey that's mine ~ this gets better !! ~ a brilliant fast psycho track thats nitro fuel filled with superb musicianship all the way from start to finish ! ~ mental track that they i'm sure are proud of ?!!

TRACK 9 : candy and gasoline ~ a favourite of mine this one , that you just HAVE to play loud !!! ~ now i've always been a big fan of what i call "stompin'" tracks..... and this fits into that category like a rubber glove up your arse at customs !!! ~ tight as hell !!! haha..... it's a fantastic track that i keep on hoping back too !! ~ i love it and would buy the disc just purely for this number ~ its got the stompin' , boppin beat i dig with a cool thumpin bass , pumpin , rollin drums , guitar that gets ya groovin mama !! and brilliantly worked sick lyrics ! ~ brilliant ... this will become a classic track in the psychobilly world i think ?!.

TRACK 10 : evil girl ~ fast , powerful number that shows off all the musicians talents ! ... in places this reminds me of Spellbound now i come to think of it ?! ~ Thomas just makes the bass seem so god damned easy too ! .... he's one of the best out there imo and having seen him play live a fair bit over the years too , you just can only admire the talent he has ! ~ more neatly worked lyrics sung in Gaz's bolshie style and drums that can't be faulted make this track another one that i can only recommend !

TRACK 11 : plastic ! ~ now the title tells ya what this is all about !! ~ super smutty lyrics that are so good it makes ya wanna hit the fetish shops !! ( joking !!! ) ~ some more "now expected" top class work from the fellas here done at a nice quick pumpin speed !!.

TRACK 12 : south west of the border ~ now i think this tops the whole disc as my personal favourite ! ~ it's got some sick lyrics sung with a "join in" chanting to it ! ~ even my 11 year old daughter sings along to this one ! ... hope she don't sing it in class
tho ?!!!. Some neat nasty stuff goin on here and it's got a "Tarrantino" feel to it as well ... listen to it and you'll know where i'm coming from !!... it's so damned good that you don't want it to stop !! THIS will surely become another all time classic of our beloved psycho scene .

TRACK 13 : blown ~ back to the Tom Waits vocal with this sleazy number ! ~ stoned are the lyrics ... and i'm sure if i had rolled one up whilst listening to it .. my head would have been on the table with a J.D in hand , bloodshot eyes n all !! ~ listen to it late at night with a "fat one" ! ~ completely different to the rest of the album but great all the same !.

TRACK 14 : last train to hell ~ mega fast kick ass track ! ~ powerful ( as usual ) vocals with a slam dunkin slap bass fest from Thomas in the fast parts ! .... chunky as hell guitar and punky as fook drumming from Gaybeul the mad man behind the kit !! ~ a very good fast psychobilly number to end the disc with ! ~ well , there is an "outro" after this track... but just as with the "intro" .. i think it is a waste of good recording time !.. sorry guys .. but thats just about my only complaint !!!!

A highly recommended c.d. that put my fears of " oh no , not another come back band" to bed after just one listen !! ~ .. as i said at the start of this , i love the original Surf rats stuff and this is definately a compliment to the earlier style but Gaz and the band have stepped it up about 10 gears with this ! ~ what an album ! well done fellas.

Contact the surf rats : http://www.myspace.com/themightysurfrats
Thay are also signed up with Germanys booking agents Monster bookings , run by the lovely Alex whom we are hoping to work with to bring the Rats to the Bedlam stage next year whilst they are on the European tour ~ .... this is the only down side to the Surf rats.... having Thomas living in the states , Gaybeul over in France and Gaz here in Birmingham ... ya gotta tie a gig for them into when they are touring !!.

Shafraneck
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:08 am  Reply with quote

Great review mate.

And great album. Much differenet from Rats classics "Trouble" & "Straight between the eyes", but non-less excellent.

I like almost all the songs, even the intro and outro bits Smile
But my favourites are "Cruel aint the world I woulda use", "Lonley drive", "Killafornya", "Candy and gasoline", "South West of the border" and "Last train to Hell".

In May Surf Rats were here in Kiev, and I must say they're one of the best live bands I've ever seen. It was a brilliant gig, just poor turn-out Sad

Watch some nice pics from that gig here -
http://tinyurl.com/Surf-Rats-Gallery-Kiev (c) D.Novytsky
http://darkstalker.io.ua/album359085 (c) DarkStalker

Ukrabilly Bang #10
Booberella
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:59 am  Reply with quote

DIMITRI!!!!!! SO good to see you post again!!!! Where have you been???

BoneDaddy
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:12 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

cant wait for it to come in the mail.
fantomas
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:37 am  Reply with quote
n00b

Hey Tobe, thanks for taking the time for the review !
actually we're releasing it in october as LP, a completely re-mixed version cause we didn't ave time or money to do it as we wanted for the cd AND there won't be an intro/outro this time Wink
the guys are coming over to the US in october for a small tour, then it'll be my turn in march. we'll also record the new album at that time.
cheers !
cha cha chuckers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:14 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

fantomas wrote:
actually we're releasing it in october as LP, a completely re-mixed version cause we didn't ave time or money to do it as we wanted for the cd AND there won't be an intro/outro this time Wink
the guys are coming over to the US in october for a small tour, then it'll be my turn in march. we'll also record the new album at that time.
cheers !

muh thomas, gut news, you hitting berlin again??? take care n greets from berlin.xx

myspace.com/flintstones frantic
fantomas
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:44 am  Reply with quote
n00b

cha cha chuckers wrote:
fantomas wrote:
cheers !

muh thomas, gut news, you hitting berlin again??? take care n greets from berlin.xx

hey Chucky boy,
hopefully we will. it's been a while for me.
hope life's treating you good over there !
Draven Crow
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:41 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

Definitely gona have to get me a copy of this! Thanks for the review Smile

PinnupBitch666
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:16 pm  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

I love the surf rats older stuff, very glad to hear theyr still puttin out good shit! ill have to check it out now.
DaFey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:14 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

I think they're getting better, i've been listening to the new stuff from youtube, can't wait to get a copy... Cool

Dan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:23 am  Reply with quote

New stuff and old stuff both, great fucking shit. Great band all around.