[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of albums  ~  The Hellfreaks-Circus of Shame
DeadKittyKatz
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:47 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

Circus of Shame is the second Hellfreaks album. Its hard to call it significantly better, but it is significantly different.

Starting with what I found the biggest change: The vocals. Shakey Sue’s vocals were not seen as overwhelming positive by many people. From excellent to painfully shrieky I have heard all sorts of things about them. Well there is a lot less shrieking and a lot more control in Sue’s voice within this album. There are some higher pitched songs which are very good (Down the Hill), but it is still not like the last album, and while I generally enjoyed the vocals on Hell, Sweet Hell I think this is a good thing.

The songs are good, and the musical talent of the rest of the band is just as strong as the last album. Some of the high point songs are Circus of Shame and Evil Smile. All I Want, featuring Vic Victor of the Koffin Kats is also a gem. The contrast between the two voices is distinct, impressive, and enjoyable.

The instrumental is not terrible, but a bit long for me. If I were a film director I would keep it in my back pocket for a horror movie based around some place involving lots of children, a carnival or a circus. It would do much better as background music for a scene, than it does on its own.

That being said, the new album’s style doesn’t get me pumped as the last album does. I can’t use Circus of Shame to get me up in running in the morning. There is nothing on the album that can get me moving in the morning like “Sick Soul” or “Hell Sweet Hell” do. All the songs (except dead and breakfast) are good but it just needs that extra “umph” that makes a song/album blow you away. And sadly, I found this album lacking that.

The album is above average, and I really do enjoy it. But it came out at such terrible time and I have a few releases I would suggest beforehand. If you are having a dry spell its worth downloading and if you disliked the last album’s vocals you should give the band a second chance with this album; but if you are drowning in new stuff like I am it might not be at the top of your list.