[Reviews]
[Shop]
[Sounds]
[Tabs]
[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of concerts and festivals  ~  Rezurex/Empress of Fur - Kreepers, Notts 08/11/2010
monstermash
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:01 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

On Saturday I'd originally intended to see the Hangmen et al in Manchester (cos I fuckin' love the Hangmen) - but dozy twat that I am, I missed my last bus up to Mancland and was buggered if I could afford the train.

So I had a choice between staying in watching the X-factor (I'd rather be blinded in a welding accident) or heading over to Nottingham to see American horrorpunk/billy band Rezurex.

Support was provided by Cramps-alikes Empress of Fur. Not really my thing, and once the novelty of the frontwoman jumping around in her underwear wore off, there wasn't a lot to hold my attention. Garage-y stuff, wailing female vocals - that sort of thing. They finished with the longest, most drawn out and overdone cover of Garbage Man I have ever heard in my life and walked off to only a smattering of applause from a crowd who had aged about a year since they started playing it.

Rezurex are a band I have mixed feelings about. Skull-faced frontman Daniel is a great guy, and I like a lot of the music his band makes. But I don't really think of them as a "psychobilly" band.

So why am I reviewing them on a psychobilly website? Well, cos I want to.

Live, Rezurex are harder and faster than on record without resorting to incorporating thrashy or metallic elements to their sound. Even songs like 'Black Rose', which sound somewhat watered-down and crooner-y on record, are fast and hard enough live to get some pretty decent wrecking going on.

Rezurex play their mix of melodic punk, gothic horror and psycho elements incredibly well and manage to show there are more dimensions to them than a watery Tiger Army type band. With their facepaint, propensity for slower melodic tracks and somewhat cliched horror lyrics (how many songs about zombies and zombie women does a band need?) they aren't to everyone's tastes. But they put on a good show and give everyone a good time and sometimes that's enough.

Unfortunately the very end of the gig was somewhat curtailed by a poor chap wrenching his knee out in the pit. Although the band were pretty much on their last song, it made for a rather muted end, with the poor chap eventually being paramedic-ed out of the club (ran into him at the next night's Peacocks gig and he said he was okay, although he was hobbling a bit).

Mikey Wong
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:28 pm  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

monstermash wrote:
On Saturday I'd originally intended to see the Hangmen et al in Manchester (cos I fuckin' love the Hangmen) - but dozy twat that I am, I missed my last bus up to Mancland and was buggered if I could afford the train.

Doh! Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger