[Reviews]
[Shop]
[Sounds]
[Tabs]
[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of concerts and festivals  ~  Bedlam Breakout #10 - 24th & 25th September 2010
LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:54 am  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

So after months of what has seemed like endless waiting, this weekend, 'Psychobilly Christmas' was finally upon us. With what many considered to be the 'bravest' line-up (in terms of two headliners who were either not from the UK, or too old for the Kl*bf**t, and a supporting cast that on saturday was made of mostly European bands who were unknown entities in the UK scene), this BB was probably the riskiest so far, but with 200 weekend tickets presold, all fears were put to rest before the doors even opened Cool

I'll do a day-by-day break down, to make it easier for you to read Wink

Friday 24th September:
The Chills - What can I say about these boys? Maybe I'm biased because Billy is a good mate, but this band continue to go from strength to strength. On the back of an amazing debut album, the Sheffield Garage/'billy/punk three piece played an absolute blinder to an already swelling crowd and the testiment to their talents is clear when by the end of their set, the bar was empty and the main hall was full, and this was only at 7:45pm!! 9/10

The GoGo Cult - I had really high hopes for these guys, being a massive fan of both surf and garage, but I'm not going to lie, I was really disappointed. Maybe it was my fault for going in with such high hopes, or maybe they just struggled to follow the Chills, but this was a really sloppy set. The songs are clearly there, and their eye for detail, particularly in the surf/instro numbers is obvious, but this was not a good set. I'll give them another chance, but I can't imagine many were won over by this performance. 5/10

The Termites - You tell me Wink

Coffin Nails - I'm not a massive fan of The Coffin Nails recorded output, but they are an ideal band for a fest like this, Not only do they get the crowd going with their brand of innuendo-filled 'party' psychobilly, they're all top fellas and you know they're gonna stick around for the party. A good, solid set, that set the bar high for the evening's headliners. 7/10

The Quakes - I'm not gonna lie, The Quakes are one of my favourite bands. Paul Roman is, in my opinion, one of the most overlooked songwriters in the scene (in this country, at least), and backed by probably the tightest, most energetic rhythm-section in the game, the crowd knew to expect nothing short of a top set, and fuck me, we were not disappointed. Opening with Puttin' Out The Flame, The Buffalo/Phoenix boys proceded to tear Northampton a new one. Sure there were a few omissions, and a few odd choices, but all the crowd pleasers were there - Stick To Your Guns, Psychobilly Jeckyl & Hyde, You're Dead, Back Our Bags & Go, Send Me an Angel.... There was a good, solid pit, and The Quakes rounded what had already been an amazing night off nicely. 9/10

The Bedlam Krew then took to the stage to be presented with their 10th Anniversary present Wink Then it was back to the front bar (a much better set-up for this event, it must be said - shorter serving times and more mingling room made for a great atmosphere), for choons, drinking and more mayhem. Myself, the missus and Mr Andy Monstermash went back to the hotel at about 2am to find the bar shut and the Quakes boys sipping cups of tea from the complimentary breakfast bar, we joined them, then so did the rest of the Termites and then Tight Fitting Pants, and by the time we hit the hay at about 5am, there was a full on tea party in full effect with about 50 people sat in the lobby of the Ibis, much to the bemusement of the poor staff! Laughing Laughing

Saturday 25th September:

Kings of Outter Space - I'm afraid to say I missed, which I'm a bit gutted about as I heard they were shit-hot Sad

West coast Whippers - Were pretty rubbish; they sounded like a bad blues rock band with a double bass, and their choice of covers was no good, although their big fat singer did provide us with much amusement. 4/10

Spook & The Ghouls - I know a lot of folk slag off SATG, but I've always enjoyed them live, and on saturday they really were a revelation. A great set that packed 'em into the main hall and saw the band cheered off as heroes. Quality stuff. 8/10

Frantic Vermin - Again, I might be biased as FV are friends of mine, but these were another saturday highlight for me. Low on confidence when they took to the stage, by the end they were demanded of an encore and left to a packed hall. Old school European sounding Psychobilly (clear elements of Batmo), crossed with surf, and played by 4 extremely competent musicians won the crowd over quickly. For the guitar geeks out there, guitarist Arjen Wiersma's Fender Jag played through a Boss delay and into a Fender Hotrod Deville brought the sort of growl that most guitarists dream of and sent me a little bit weak at the knees. Think I know what my next purchase is gonna be! Laughing . Great stuff. 8/10

Tight Fitting Pants - Not my cup of tea. Pop-Punk with a double bass is great when done well, The Peacocks, Living End etc., but this was not done well. Bad Screeching Weasel wannabes with puerile lyrics, whiney vocals and pretty slack musicianship. On a side note, their bassist and drummer were very tight and deserving of a far better band in front of them! 3/10

Luck Devils - I missed cos the missus wanted to take me out for tea but I heard they were good

the Klingonz - Were good at what they do, which is basically noisey, obnoxious Psychobilly played at break-neck speed, which is great if you like that sort of thing, but I don't like that sort of thing, which is why I'm not gonna give them a score as I feel I might be slightly biased.

The Ricochets - Rumours were going round on saturday morning that these boys not play due to health reasons, so when Ginger walked in, an audible sigh of relief went around the venue. It quickly transpired that Dave Sardi had suffered a heart-attack and had to go for emergency bypass surgery 2 weeks prior to playing Bedlam, but if the man showed any signs of this onstage, then no one bloody noticed, because the Ricochets played a hi-energy set of non-stop neo-rockabilly/psychobilly crossover, with the frontman throwing himself around the stage with great gusto. Sam Sardi is one of my bass playing heroes and to see the man on stage was a big deal for me as well, but the band as a whole were just incredible. Tight as fuck drums, solid bass playing, great guitar work and a fantastic live show made the Ricochets the band of the day (and arguably the weekend). Kudos to the mainman for not letting the fans and promoters down, he really is a legend. 9/10

so once again to Tobe, Pip, Phil, Dan, Alex, Jay and Chris (dirty boy!), well done for making this another massive success, and thanks for letting us be part of it again Smile I had an amazing weekend, got to see some of my favourite bands, play in front of an amazing audience, and got to see a lot of new bands that had never crossed my radar before. I honestly think that these lad's contribution to the national 'sc*n*' is immeasurable, and the fact that there were as many new faces there as the old guard on friday shows just how far these boys have come. I've said it before, but Bedlam Breakout really is the must-attend event of the Psychobilly calender in this country, and the fact that it's bi-annually means that it's only 6 months to wait until the next one! And I, for one, cannot fucking wait! Very Happy

Welsh John
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:02 am  Reply with quote

Now THAT'S a review!, nice one mate.

LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:34 am  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

Welsh John wrote:

cheers fella, been a quiet afternoon at work Laughing

Phil
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:12 am  Reply with quote
n00b

LiamRevenge wrote:

[Lucky Devils - I missed cos the missus wanted to take me out for tea but I heard they were good

I'm glad tea time saved us! ;D

Anyway for us who could only be there on the saturday, it was the hell of a party, well organised, friendly etc. We want more like that! Thanks to all the crew and the audience too! Wink

LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:26 am  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

Phil wrote:
LiamRevenge wrote:

[Lucky Devils - I missed cos the missus wanted to take me out for tea but I heard they were good

I'm glad tea time saved us! ;D

Anyway for us who could only be there on the saturday, it was the hell of a party, well organised, friendly etc. We want more like that! Thanks to all the crew and the audience too! Wink

everyone said you were really good due! Bit gutted I missed yiz!

Phil
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:06 am  Reply with quote
n00b

Cool then, thanks to them. Very Happy
We were a bit scared about the sound, but it finally seems it wasn't that bad.
Maybe you'll have another opportunity for seeing us, but we dont play in England that often. Who knows... Wink

LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:21 am  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

Phil wrote:
Cool then, thanks to them. Very Happy
We were a bit scared about the sound, but it finally seems it wasn't that bad.
Maybe you'll have another opportunity for seeing us, but we dont play in England that often. Who knows... Wink

yeah, the sound wasn't amazing for us either Confused

Me and Ewin didn't even know that Bally had started 'FTW' until about 6 bars in!

spug5ter
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:54 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

Crackin' review Mr Revenge... good to catch up with you again Smile

jim1969
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:04 pm  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

Welsh John wrote:
i will second that brilliant review. Wink
mancpaul
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:19 pm  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

jim1969 wrote:
Welsh John wrote:
i will second that brilliant review. Wink

thirded, excellent detailed review, anyone got any pics?
spug5ter
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:21 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

Termites

Coffin Nails

Non Stop Rock 'n' Roll Double Bass Action

Spook and The Ghouls

Kling Klong Klownz

LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:57 pm  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

great pics there chap!

KRUG_666
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:59 pm  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

great review and great photos.

Jake Noose
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:44 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Great review!

Barfboy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:15 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Couldn't agree more. Brilliant weekender, best one around I'd say! Cheers everyone, see you in March!