[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of albums  ~  The Brains - Zombie Nation
johnnydeadneck
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:25 pm  Reply with quote
n00b

This album showed up in the mail here at the radio station and I was rather excited to hear it. I feel like The Brains have been improving upon every release, and this album continues that trend. The change from Johnny Montreal's homemade coffin bass to Colin The Dead's more traditional standup has given the bass sound a bit of a warmer feel instead of the metallic sound on previous albums. Personally, I am sad to see Johnny go. He's a great guy and a lot of fun to hang with. But judging by this album, Colin will be able to pick up where he left off just fine. The album also has a bit of a more traditional sound to the guitars, especially on tracks like Apres Cette Nuit and Sweeter Than Wine. There are still lots of classic Brains songs, like We'll Rise, We Gotta Go, and I Don't Care. Guest vocals from Daniel DeLeon of Rezurex on Screaming are a hit, but Dead "Richy" Gein from Bloodsucking Zombies From Outer Space on Zombie Nation were a miss for me, which is a shame, as I really like that band. And the last track, a cover of Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence is a great way to wrap up the album.

Overall, I think the album is a bit more diverse in terms of its sound than previous releases and the production continues to improve. I would definitely recommend this disc.

Eldonko
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:18 pm  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

I have to agree with most of this review and some comments on the new bass player Colin. I was a bit worried to see the Jon replaced as he always put on a great show but man when I saw these guys play with Colin he took over Jon's spot and then some. He goes nuts the whole time and gives it everything he has. I also love that these guys hang out and party with everyone before and after shows instead of sitting in the grungy back room.

The Brains are big fans of Bloodsucking Zombies From Outer Space so having Richy on the cd was a big deal for them. First time I met Rene all he talked about were BSZFOS haha. Great guys and Im sure we will see many excellent albums from them in the future.

The Brains are recording the video for Screaming right now and it should be out soon so keep an eye for that.