5. Big Dwarf Rodeo
6. Psychobilly Freakout
7. Put It To Me Straight
8. Marijuana
9. Baby, You Know Who
10. Eat Steak
11. "D" For Dangerous
12. Love Whip

Released 1990-1991 (?) on Sub Pop records.

This was so different sounding when it came out. That’s what first grabbed me about the album- I hadn’t heard anything like it at the time.
It wasn’t just Rockabilly, it was something more. I still don’t think I would call it ‘psychobilly’ but it’s a sound that’s become unique to them, making them a fixture in the ‘billy’ scene. It’s rockabilly with a big kick!
While you’ve got songs on it like ‘Eat Steak’ ‘Love Whip’ and ‘Big Dwarf Rodeo’ that are all a bit tongue in cheek, you’ve also got ‘Dark Day’ that really shows off what Jim Heath is capable of as a song writer (and what sadly he seems to have moved away from in their later albums).
When mentioning The Reverend Horton Heat, you have to mention the guitar playing without any question. Say what you want about them and their later releases, but his guitar playing on this album is stunning. The instrumentals ‘Psychobilly Freakout’ ‘D for Dangerous’ as well as ‘Bullet’ stand out along with ‘Baby You Know Who’. He doesn’t sound like every other guitarist and he has a style that is all his own.
And then there’s Jimbo and Taz. Amazing upright bassist and Taz has such a ferocity drumming. They’re both such an essential part of that sound. I think for me, when Taz left, it changed their sound and it wasn’t quite the same. With this album, you get the right combination with the three of them.
I wanted to point out some personal favorites but really, I can listen to this album from start to finish and not skip a single track. I love how they make singing about ‘Marijuana’ actually sound pretty vicious and the guitar on that is wow!!! I also challenge anyone not to sing along to ‘Eat Steak’! I can’t tell you how many times my friends and I sat around listening to that cd and singing along to that song.
It’s a cd that really does sound as fresh and new now as it did when it first came out. It's just a fun listen, and again, although not truly psychobilly, worth having in any music collection.

Booberella
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

....just had to add I still think the guy's a massive cockfucker, but I still love this album. Very Happy Laughing

wreckingpit
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:04 pm  Reply with quote
Site Admin

This is one of my favorites. Indeed it sounded very new when this came out. It was very refreshing to hear a band from the US doing their own style of psychobilly or rockabilly if you like.

This album also got some radio attention in Holland. Every wednesday you could hear psychobilly freakout for a few weeks in a row.

Personal favorite of the album is Dark Day.

DaFey
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:07 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

I bought this one after watching "Psychobilly Freakout", i remember playing that video almost 5 times a day and then the album come up... i know they always seem to fit into the Psychobilly tag but this one have to be in any Rockabilly/Psychobilly collection...

This is the one i always come up with when somebody ask me about some hard Rockabilly sound, along with "In Heaven"... and maybe the one im gonna buy next after the big scratches on it... Smile

Booberella
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:46 am  Reply with quote

I actually play this alot when I run. It's got a good pace to it. Wink

Pelvis Unrestly
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:30 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

I love the Rev, and think this album is great, but it tends to get a bit repetetive. I'd sooner throw in Full Custom Gospel, or Lucky 13.
gregifying!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:54 am  Reply with quote

Good album...good raw 'billy' kinda rockin' with some 'billy' vocals and a highly gifted frontman and bass slapper
slickNick
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:17 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

This is a classic LP. One of the very few releases from the 90's onwards that can compare with the best of the early years. When I first heard it they sounded like the natural successors to the Stray Cats. But more playful, more revved up and frankly better. Fantastic voice and guitar playing. Still listen to it, still love it.

gregifying!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:26 pm  Reply with quote

As far as I recall 'Psychobilly Freakout' isn't a Psychobilly song...like the whole Johnny Cash thing...but their both good listening to
tobe
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:00 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Fantastic musicians ~ no doubt of that... but the Rev. just doesn't do it for me ?.... i really wish i knew why ?... but they are one of those bands that as much as i listen to them ... they just don't even grow on me ?!.... Yeah i don't mind the odd track here n there , but i actually prefer Hillbilly hellcats ? / hayride to hell ? ~ i can't remember which one it is that sound very similar ?!!

Todd
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:23 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

tobe wrote:
but i actually prefer Hillbilly hellcats ? / hayride to hell ? ~ i can't remember which one it is that sound very similar ?!!

Hillbilly Hellcats. They both had Taz as a drummer. Im not sure which CD of theirs I have but it does sound very similar. Even the one slower song, it just reminds me of Its a Dark Day.

I've always liked Smoke 'Em. It was this CD and The Amazing Royal Crowns that really pushed me into psychobilly and made me want to seek out other bands.
Booberella
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Todd wrote:
tobe wrote:
but i actually prefer Hillbilly hellcats ? / hayride to hell ? ~ i can't remember which one it is that sound very similar ?!!

Hillbilly Hellcats. They both had Taz as a drummer. Im not sure which CD of theirs I have but it does sound very similar. Even the one slower song, it just reminds me of Its a Dark Day.

I've always liked Smoke 'Em. It was this CD and The Amazing Royal Crowns that really pushed me into psychobilly and made me want to seek out other bands.

It's 'Rev it up with Taz' by Hillbilly Hellcats. Excellent CD.

gamma6
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:41 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

mr. heaton's new album is more like the older stuff, he went back to his roots on it...."revival" has a good sound to it....i've met him a couple of times, they play here pretty regularly, he's always been nice to me booberella.
hotrod
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:59 am  Reply with quote
Mastercunt

Location: right next door to hell..oh hang on,sorry i meant blackpool!

gamma6 wrote:
mr. heaton's new album is more like the older stuff, he went back to his roots on it...."revival" has a good sound to it....i've met him a couple of times, they play here pretty regularly, he's always been nice to me booberella.

who is mr heaton?? i thought his surname was heath?

and sorry but revival was utter utter shite..and thats putting it nicely!

gamma6
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:01 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

i thought it was good, every one has their opinions.

i've heard people refer to him as jim heaton as well, yes his name is jim heath.