[Tabs]
[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Live  ~  The Promoter thread.
Welsh John
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:32 am  Reply with quote

Here you go promoters & wannabe promoters.....your very own thread, seasoned promoters, why not pass on a few tips for the wannabe's etc & bands can even tell each other which promoters to be wary of etc too, hell...you can even slag each other off if you really want to Rolling Eyes .

Harrie
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:40 am  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

posters are always a good start...!
i used to promote like mad when i put on gigs but haven't done so in about two years now.
LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:58 am  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

Harrie wrote:
posters are always a good start...!
i used to promote like mad when i put on gigs but haven't done so in about two years now.

1) Budget properly - cost in the band's guarantee and rider, venue hire and promotional costs (if you're not spending at least a hundred quid on promo, you're not doing a proper job). Work out how much you would charge for tickets to cover costs, then think, AS A PUNTER, whether you would be willing to pay that much to see the bands on the bill. Personally, when I book a band, I budget around a projected audience of 100 people to cover costs. I NEVER expect to make a profit, and when I do, its a bonus. THERE IS VERY LITTLE MONEY TO BE MADE PROMOTING PSYCHOBILLY GIGS.

2) Pick and choose your venue carefully; location, hire costs, quality of sound equipment and engineers, size, whether they have a late licence and the price of a pint WILL affect your audience, and also the atmosphere. Personally, I try not to book a big venue if I don't expect to fill it, although I appreciate that that is not always an option.

3) Promote the fucker! Make decent, clear fliers and posters and print a LOT of them!! www.printcarrier.com do a very reasonable rate for double-sided colour A5 fliers, and if you know people who would chip in half the costs, get them to put an ad on the flipside, thus halving your printing costs and also they will be handing out half your fliers for you, as you will be for them. Use the web as a promotional tool - myspace and facebook, not to mention forums like this, are a godsend for promoters in this day and age, b ut don't just rely on them! A lot of people still don't use the internet and you can't beat old-fashioned hard-copy

4) Work with other promoters. Send fliers out to all the mail-order rockabilly/psychobilly stores in England, and to other promoters and friends in other cities, and offer to do the same for them. This pays off in ways you couldn't even imagine. When I've put on shows in Manchester in the past, I've estimated that about 70% of my audience have travelled from outside of the city, and this is a great way to reach them.

5) Pick your line-up carefully. Sometimes having bands of a similar genre on the same bill together works well, but sometimes having a mixed-genre bill will work in your favour - as a promoter its your call to work that one out.

6) Make sure tickets are easily available. Its free to set up a Ticketline account, and costs pittance to print the tickets and is another avenue for cheap advertising as it will be listed in all their outlets and on their website. Having them exclusively available on some obscure website, where the only way to secure them is to print off a receipt is lazy. Do your homework - if people don't know where to BUY tickets, you're not going to SELL any tickets. Shops will often stock tickets for a small fee or free of charge.

Fatbloke
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:47 am  Reply with quote

When doing flyers get them done as early as possible and post them to the band as well, they may well have gigs close by or have fans that will travel, and visit every gig you can to flyer that, even if it just means hanging around outside afterwards.

Take fuck all for granted, if it can go wrong it probably will, trust no one but yourself, then when you fuck up you only have yourself to blame.
HellCatRocker
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:51 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

Just remember YOU are the promoter, NOT the band... dont expect them to bring a following!!! If they do then thats a bonus

www.myspace.com/hellcatsuk
tobe
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:47 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

HellCatRocker wrote:
Just remember YOU are the promoter, NOT the band... dont expect them to bring a following!!! If they do then thats a bonus

We always ask the bands to do some advertising..... yeah we put on the gigs , but @ the end of the day its the bands that are assured of cash in the arse pocket @ the end of the night.... not us !!.... so if the bands actually give a shite about the scene ( and us muppets that stick out our necks ) then they will help out too !!!....... so far we've not had a problem with anyone !!...... Granted , the promoter should do the majority of the advertising , but if a band wants to play to a crowd of some sort ? , then they'll help out.
In fact when i think about it , all the lesser known bands that we've dealt with in the past have always helped out and as most of them know , they will only get travel costs in the arse pocket... but thats always been our promise to bands...... what we offer is what they will get ..... never turned anyone over & never will do !!...... and if we ever do make any spare dollar ( rarely !).. we try to chuck a few quid extra.... or get more bevvies in for em.
You also have to rely on "friends" to help out with posters / fliers etc....... i have absolutely no shame in admitting that we rely on people doing this for us..... they know us & just wannna see a good gig being put on so everyone gets together for a good lash up n catch up with each other.
This method PROVES to be invaluable to be honest.. and we cant thank people enough for all the time and effort they put in towards the Bedlam gigs.... we put in f***in untold hours putting the gigs together and without all the help we get from friends/unknown people too ! & bands alike... it'd probably flop flat on it's mush ! so thanks to all that help out.... but if bands just expect to get booked , turn up , play , drink & eat @ our expense & get paid without doing a bit towards draggin people through the doors ..... then we won't deal with em !!...... sounds harsh ? f**k it.... if a band wants a gig , then they too have to help out imo.

tobe
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:39 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

I agree with Si & Liam on most points made above... tho just on a purely personal note i don't like to stray too far off the billy tracks with the line up.
This may sound like i'm a stubborn old twat ( go on gimmee some shit !), but i only wanna do the psychobilly orientated stuff & really don't care about mixing in other styles to try to drag in bodies/money through the doors.... yeah we could do it that way & stick on all sorts of bands that would probably pack the venue to the rafters !!.... but we put on PSYCHOBILLY/ROCKABILLY shows . Yes i've been to some great gig's that have had various styles of music ie Academy type gigs..... it's been great to see the likes of Mad Sin playing to a very large crowd of punx/ skins etc. but if you sit back & think about it afterwards.... how many of the psychobilly crowd were there ?.... not that many !!.. they don't wanna pay a shit load of cash on a ticket to see possibly 2 or 3 billy bands. The psychobilly crowd imo would rather pay out the hard earned money on seeing a psychobilly line up !?.
Don't get me wrong here tho .... of course there is room & demand for these types of gigs , but i @ present just want to stick with the psychobilly stuff .... it's my heart n lungs.... my main interest musically..... it's where my friends live .... & it's the place where i wanna meet new people too !. Yes i do go to other types of gigs & have friends outside of the psycho scene.... but it's where i'm comfortable / happy to be and will remain so.

If you want to put on psycho shows ?... have your heart in it & take notice of the very well put points listed by the others.... but i just want to reinforce the one main point made : ADVERTISE THE GIGS ! ~ don't do it to make money.... do it coz you love psychobilly & never try to tuck up people..... you'll get bitten badly !
In general the psychobilly scene is a very friendly scene , but not a very forgiving one !!.... so if ya new to it ?.. treat it & the people within it with respect & you'll get plenty back @ ya!.

SNAKEBITE
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:04 am  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

I did it the "cowards" way. I approached a venue and said "If you pay the costs I will do all the leg work" and he went for it.
I did all the promoting, flyers, cooking, humping the gear etc and never made a penny. However I did see some good bands and met a few of my heroes. Was it worth it?
Fuck yeah!!

On the flyer front I kept costs down by doing them myself and photo copying them at work.
What are opinions on this?
Is having a full colour glossy flyer any better than an "old school" black and white one?
kreepers_stripe
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:51 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

I agree with everything people are saying.
If you're gonna do it, dont do it for the money. You have to put your heart and soul into it. The hours i spend online advertsing and the travel we do to other events is crazy, we put alot of time and effort into booking the bands & advertising the night and i think it shows.
If you offer a band a certain amount, it's up to you to make sure when they come off stage it's waiting for them. You cant make excuses of "sorry we didnt get enough people in" you offered to book them, so it's up to you to make sure they get it. Many a time i've had to go to a cash point to make up whats missing but thats my choice. They've turned up and played so you have to stick to your side of the bargin.
I love the scene and will do everything to push other peoples nights and that pays to, as other people return the favour. People always say to us that everywhere they go they see our flyers and splashing out on decent flyers imo is worth it. As *Kreepers* is a monthly night we do a flyer advertising te dates for the whole year and when we have bigger bands we get flyers done for them too.
Fatbloke
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:06 am  Reply with quote

SNAKEBITE wrote:
I

On the flyer front I kept costs down by doing them myself and photo copying them at work.
What are opinions on this?
Is having a full colour glossy flyer any better than an "old school" black and white one?

I reckon its the best way, pile em high do em cheap and people can write things on the back of them making them green and recyclable Laughing

Keeping it cheap makes sense to me, keep your overheads down, its the gig thats important not the flyer.
fatty231
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:51 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Ive got access to a free photocopier courtesy of the mugs at work...so if anyone needs any freebie black and white ones printed..just pm me,same with posters A4...out to help out...plus its sticking two fingers up to the cunts at work!!!! Wink

Mikey Wong
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:26 am  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

GO TO OTHER GIGS OF A SIMILAR ILK!!!

Seriously, people will always be wary of new / unfamiliar promoters, especially if they're putting on psychobilly gigs but don't actually go to rockabilly / horror punk / rock'n'roll shows. Surely if you like the bands you're putting on, then you'd go to other promoter's gigs, even if just to flyer the gig you're putting on yourself!

Get yourself known on your local 'scene' & let people put a face to a name, so then they'll know that you're actually into the music you're booking, rather than just doing it thinking it'll be fun or will make you some money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SpookySam
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:05 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Help out other promoters, even if they're not the same genre. I'll go out flyering for my friends shows & vice versa, we can get a bigger area, different gigs etc.

Don't shell out more than you can afford to lose! Sounds pessimistic but you never know what will happen.

Don't clash with Big Brother/football or other pleb activities I don't care about but others might.

www.myspace.com/cowboyandthecorpse
Dan
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:11 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds simple to most promoters, and it seems to piss some of the bands off to hear it, but don't over book.

Only the most avid fans will go see a band they have seen a million times before.
Also if there is a gig every night even if they are different bands it will hurt your draw. I often work with one of the punk rock promoters here to make sure we don't have to many events in a month to avoid affecting each others draws.

LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:18 am  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

7) If you make a balls-up of a gig, swallow your pride, learn from your mistakes and GET ON WITH IT. Don't get your Dad to go on an online forum spouting bollocks and threatening anyone who doesn't say how wonderful you are.

It just makes you look like even more of a div Rolling Eyes