Psychobilly Homepage
The Psychobilly Homepage
> Home > Psychobilly Forum
MAIN MENU
[Bands]
[Concerts]
[Flyers]
[Forum]
[Gallery]
[Links]
[Lyrics]
[News]
[Pictures]
[Reviews]
[Shop]
[Sounds]
[Tabs]
[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:


PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

Author Message
<  Reviews of albums  ~  The Meteors - Hell Train Rollin......
Booberella
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:53 am  Reply with quote
Moderator


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 17218
Location: Belfast NI

The artwork is very good, as is on Hymns!
I think that's one of the tracks I was fond of, Pure Evil.

_________________
I wasn't taught to politely pretend to be nice to people I can't stand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tattoodave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:15 am  Reply with quote
n00b


Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 50
Location: Herts

I just can't get into this one, theres a couple of tracks on there I like but overall it's not for me Sad I've even tried blasting it out in the car, that normally helps but I end up skipping half the songs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Boozehound
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 pm  Reply with quote
Mastercunt


Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Posts: 10693
Location: GREEN LAND!

ok then, so lets have a serious discussion here. what do people think is the problem with this release?
quantity over quality perhaps? Confused

_________________
psychobilly's like a dog...it's for life! (or until you spit the dummy out...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:14 pm  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster


Joined: 26 Feb 2008
Posts: 2737
Location: Cape Town

Personally, it sounds as though a lot more work has gone into it than 'Psychobilly'.

Like 'Hymns...', there's a lot more of the, for want of a better word, 'avant garde' influences in there, than the shout-along choruses and three chordery, and to me, this is no bad thing as its a great vehicle to display PPF's diversity. I agree 100% with Shafra that a lot of it wouldn't sound out of place on a PPF solo or LRD album, but so what? I think its a vast improvement on the fairly one-dimensional 'Psychobilly', and shows that 'pure psychobilly' doesn't have to keep to a formula. I, for one, would welcome more releases like this, although it seems that I may be in the minority here!!

_________________
www.thedamnedcrows.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Booberella
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:02 pm  Reply with quote
Moderator


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 17218
Location: Belfast NI

Dunno, the last two I wasn't too keen on, and likewise for last PPF release.
Musically speaking, they're all top notch as far as diversity. You can see he is a true musician with all sorts of styles. But we're talking otherwise I take it? Speaking about what we thought of them persaonally?

I like the harder 'darker' kinda sound they going in Evil Things, Psychobilly and I still have to class Psycho Down as a favorite. That is the sound from them I persaonlly like. But what I like and what they do are two different things, and it's just my opinion end of the day.
I'm not a musician so I don't really know fuck all, but I know bands like to grow and change styles and I can respect that. But from the prospective of someone who listens to alot of music, sometimes when bands evolve or grow-not everyone likes the change. No biggie really. Not a bad thing either, just how it is sometimes.

The newer releases are still well and good, they just aren't my cuppa tea so to speak. There are, like I said, a few songs on each I really like, but for the most part, I just didn't take to the rest of it.

_________________
I wasn't taught to politely pretend to be nice to people I can't stand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
HellCatRocker
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:31 am  Reply with quote
Wanker


Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 346
Location: Sussex by the sea...

Time to get geeky then....

On the whole it didnt grab me the 1st tme I played it, but I do think its def a grower!

Like most albums that dont hit you the 1st time, try playing it on shuffle as that tends to put the songs in a different perspective and less affected by your preconceptions

At first I wasnt too sure about the 'anvil' sound (I ecpect they were blacksmithing.. Wink ) on the track 'Never stop the hate train' as I thought it was a little cheesy..? but I actually like that theyve tried something different and it adds the right atmosphere to the track

I think that id love 'Devilbone' even more if the harp was left out

_________________
Mind Over Matter - You DONT matter and I dont mind

www.myspace.com/hellcatsuk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:03 am  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster


Joined: 26 Feb 2008
Posts: 2737
Location: Cape Town

HellCatRocker wrote:
Time to get geeky then....

On the whole it didnt grab me the 1st tme I played it, but I do think its def a grower!

Like most albums that dont hit you the 1st time, try playing it on shuffle as that tends to put the songs in a different perspective and less affected by your preconceptions

At first I wasnt too sure about the 'anvil' sound (I ecpect they were blacksmithing.. Wink ) on the track 'Never stop the hate train' as I thought it was a little cheesy..? but I actually like that theyve tried something different and it adds the right atmosphere to the track

I think that id love 'Devilbone' even more if the harp was left out


I assumed they were going for the classic Johnny Cash train sound, used on 'Orange Blossom Special', 'the Ballad of John Henry' etc with that anvil noise on 'Hate Train...'. I like it myself....

Or maybe they in fact WERE stepping up to the Psyko-cool standards by hammering out some horse shoes and lovely wrought-iron fittings, WHILST recording Laughing

_________________
www.thedamnedcrows.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
barn3y666
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:23 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster


Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 1182
Location: Tree of Wyrd

I fink it's OK

_________________
(K)666 FTW
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Superkristo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:01 am  Reply with quote
n00b


Joined: 26 May 2009
Posts: 66
Location: Hellas

I think it's a great album but for me it doesn't have the inspiration and the sensation that some other albums brings me like the "bastard sons" or "psychobilly".But this is diffferent to everyone.The strange thing about The Meteors is that after all these albums and releases i can't find a fucking song that i could say i don't like!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
slickNick
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:15 am  Reply with quote
Wanker


Joined: 14 Jan 2009
Posts: 205

LiamRevenge wrote:
Personally, it sounds as though a lot more work has gone into it than 'Psychobilly'.

Like 'Hymns...', there's a lot more of the, for want of a better word, 'avant garde' influences in there, than the shout-along choruses and three chordery, and to me, this is no bad thing as its a great vehicle to display PPF's diversity. I agree 100% with Shafra that a lot of it wouldn't sound out of place on a PPF solo or LRD album, but so what? I think its a vast improvement on the fairly one-dimensional 'Psychobilly', and shows that 'pure psychobilly' doesn't have to keep to a formula. I, for one, would welcome more releases like this, although it seems that I may be in the minority here!!


Didn't buy the album as I didn't listen to the previous few much: But this review got me interested.

Ive just ordered it -purely on the strength of the above review - so can I get a refund from you LiamRevenge if I don't like it?

_________________
Michael Barratt - A Legend
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tabitha
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:54 pm  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster


Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Posts: 4677

i'm gonna give it a spin when i've dragged myself out of my sleaze-fest to remind myself what i think.

devilbone & 4lb hammer are stand out tracks i reckon...

_________________
evolution has turned back

YZSC***
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brandito666
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:15 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker


Joined: 19 Feb 2009
Posts: 100
Location: Las Vegas

I think this album is really good. My favorite track on it was "This Town".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Welsh John
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:16 am  Reply with quote
Moderator


Joined: 22 Feb 2006
Posts: 8967
Location: Midi Pyrenees via Wales..Cymru am Byth.

"Devil bone" is the best track on it imo.

_________________
Psychobilly, music NOT fancy dress for scenesters!.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:38 am  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster


Joined: 26 Feb 2008
Posts: 2737
Location: Cape Town

slickNick wrote:
LiamRevenge wrote:
Personally, it sounds as though a lot more work has gone into it than 'Psychobilly'.

Like 'Hymns...', there's a lot more of the, for want of a better word, 'avant garde' influences in there, than the shout-along choruses and three chordery, and to me, this is no bad thing as its a great vehicle to display PPF's diversity. I agree 100% with Shafra that a lot of it wouldn't sound out of place on a PPF solo or LRD album, but so what? I think its a vast improvement on the fairly one-dimensional 'Psychobilly', and shows that 'pure psychobilly' doesn't have to keep to a formula. I, for one, would welcome more releases like this, although it seems that I may be in the minority here!!


Didn't buy the album as I didn't listen to the previous few much: But this review got me interested.

Ive just ordered it -purely on the strength of the above review - so can I get a refund from you LiamRevenge if I don't like it?


haha, no! Laughing

_________________
www.thedamnedcrows.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
barn3y666
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:45 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster


Joined: 31 May 2006
Posts: 1182
Location: Tree of Wyrd

The new solo is gonna be fuckin amazing

I'm playing on it Wink

_________________
(K)666 FTW
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
All times are GMT - 7 Hours

View next topic
View previous topic
Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Psychobilly Forum Forum Index  ~  Reviews of albums

Post new topic   Reply to topic


 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB and Ad Infinitum