[Reviews]
[Shop]
[Sounds]
[Tabs]
[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of albums  ~  The Meteors - Hell Train Rollin......
Booberella
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:53 am  Reply with quote

The artwork is very good, as is on Hymns!
I think that's one of the tracks I was fond of, Pure Evil.

tattoodave
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:15 am  Reply with quote
n00b

I just can't get into this one, theres a couple of tracks on there I like but overall it's not for me Sad I've even tried blasting it out in the car, that normally helps but I end up skipping half the songs
Boozehound
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:25 pm  Reply with quote
Mastercunt

ok then, so lets have a serious discussion here. what do people think is the problem with this release?
quantity over quality perhaps? Confused

LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:14 pm  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

Personally, it sounds as though a lot more work has gone into it than 'Psychobilly'.

Like 'Hymns...', there's a lot more of the, for want of a better word, 'avant garde' influences in there, than the shout-along choruses and three chordery, and to me, this is no bad thing as its a great vehicle to display PPF's diversity. I agree 100% with Shafra that a lot of it wouldn't sound out of place on a PPF solo or LRD album, but so what? I think its a vast improvement on the fairly one-dimensional 'Psychobilly', and shows that 'pure psychobilly' doesn't have to keep to a formula. I, for one, would welcome more releases like this, although it seems that I may be in the minority here!!

Booberella
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:02 pm  Reply with quote

Dunno, the last two I wasn't too keen on, and likewise for last PPF release.
Musically speaking, they're all top notch as far as diversity. You can see he is a true musician with all sorts of styles. But we're talking otherwise I take it? Speaking about what we thought of them persaonally?

I like the harder 'darker' kinda sound they going in Evil Things, Psychobilly and I still have to class Psycho Down as a favorite. That is the sound from them I persaonlly like. But what I like and what they do are two different things, and it's just my opinion end of the day.
I'm not a musician so I don't really know fuck all, but I know bands like to grow and change styles and I can respect that. But from the prospective of someone who listens to alot of music, sometimes when bands evolve or grow-not everyone likes the change. No biggie really. Not a bad thing either, just how it is sometimes.

The newer releases are still well and good, they just aren't my cuppa tea so to speak. There are, like I said, a few songs on each I really like, but for the most part, I just didn't take to the rest of it.

HellCatRocker
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:31 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

Time to get geeky then....

On the whole it didnt grab me the 1st tme I played it, but I do think its def a grower!

Like most albums that dont hit you the 1st time, try playing it on shuffle as that tends to put the songs in a different perspective and less affected by your preconceptions

At first I wasnt too sure about the 'anvil' sound (I ecpect they were blacksmithing.. Wink ) on the track 'Never stop the hate train' as I thought it was a little cheesy..? but I actually like that theyve tried something different and it adds the right atmosphere to the track

I think that id love 'Devilbone' even more if the harp was left out

www.myspace.com/hellcatsuk
LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:03 am  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

HellCatRocker wrote:
Time to get geeky then....

On the whole it didnt grab me the 1st tme I played it, but I do think its def a grower!

Like most albums that dont hit you the 1st time, try playing it on shuffle as that tends to put the songs in a different perspective and less affected by your preconceptions

At first I wasnt too sure about the 'anvil' sound (I ecpect they were blacksmithing.. Wink ) on the track 'Never stop the hate train' as I thought it was a little cheesy..? but I actually like that theyve tried something different and it adds the right atmosphere to the track

I think that id love 'Devilbone' even more if the harp was left out

I assumed they were going for the classic Johnny Cash train sound, used on 'Orange Blossom Special', 'the Ballad of John Henry' etc with that anvil noise on 'Hate Train...'. I like it myself....

Or maybe they in fact WERE stepping up to the Psyko-cool standards by hammering out some horse shoes and lovely wrought-iron fittings, WHILST recording Laughing

barn3y666
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:23 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

I fink it's OK

Superkristo
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:01 am  Reply with quote
n00b

I think it's a great album but for me it doesn't have the inspiration and the sensation that some other albums brings me like the "bastard sons" or "psychobilly".But this is diffferent to everyone.The strange thing about The Meteors is that after all these albums and releases i can't find a fucking song that i could say i don't like!!
slickNick
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:15 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

LiamRevenge wrote:
Personally, it sounds as though a lot more work has gone into it than 'Psychobilly'.

Like 'Hymns...', there's a lot more of the, for want of a better word, 'avant garde' influences in there, than the shout-along choruses and three chordery, and to me, this is no bad thing as its a great vehicle to display PPF's diversity. I agree 100% with Shafra that a lot of it wouldn't sound out of place on a PPF solo or LRD album, but so what? I think its a vast improvement on the fairly one-dimensional 'Psychobilly', and shows that 'pure psychobilly' doesn't have to keep to a formula. I, for one, would welcome more releases like this, although it seems that I may be in the minority here!!

Didn't buy the album as I didn't listen to the previous few much: But this review got me interested.

Ive just ordered it -purely on the strength of the above review - so can I get a refund from you LiamRevenge if I don't like it?

tabitha
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:54 pm  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

i'm gonna give it a spin when i've dragged myself out of my sleaze-fest to remind myself what i think.

devilbone & 4lb hammer are stand out tracks i reckon...

YZSC***
Brandito666
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:15 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

I think this album is really good. My favorite track on it was "This Town".
Welsh John
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:16 am  Reply with quote

"Devil bone" is the best track on it imo.

LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:38 am  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

slickNick wrote:
LiamRevenge wrote:

Didn't buy the album as I didn't listen to the previous few much: But this review got me interested.

Ive just ordered it -purely on the strength of the above review - so can I get a refund from you LiamRevenge if I don't like it?

haha, no! Laughing

barn3y666
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:45 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

The new solo is gonna be fuckin amazing

I'm playing on it Wink