Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of albums  ~  Meantraitors - Heavy Boogie
bad mouthin' man
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:43 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

MEANTRAITORS - "HEAVY BOOGIE" - PURE & PROUD RECORDS 2007

When a band release its seventh album after 19 years of living, you don't know what to expect.

With Meantraitors you can expect the best, they putted all their guts in "Heavy Boogie" (and they've got a lot for sale).
This album is so brilliant that it really shows the fracture in the actual psychobilly-punk scene, when many bands just play for the fashion of it, few others play because it represents their entire life.

"Heavy Boogie" is out on Pure & Proud records and it has been produced by Nico a.k.a Elek'Nick (those who know a little about Indie music knows what that means) before its death. It's his favorite band and I think he would have loved this album.

12 songs make the album and listening to it over and over I just would have like more.
"Heavy Boogie" set the standard from the beginning, you're not listening psycho-pop or pop-punk, no sorry...

If you're just starting in this, well I'm sorry but this may be a little too fast for you, if you've been here for a while and don't get it well there's no hope for you, it's time for retirement. "Heavy Boogie" is for real connoisseurs in street music.

I heard here and there that Meantraitors are too heavily influenced by the Meteors. I've got two answers to this: 1.you either have too much honey in your hears or haven't listen to them for a long time. 2.who hasn't been influenced by the major psychobilly band ever?

It wouldn't be fair for me to forget mentionning that the sound of the album is excellent and the quality of the musicians is very high.
The drummer kicks his set at the level of a master class. And there's no need to say that Stas's melodies and riffs are actually ones of the best.
This power trio shows what's the difference between starting something and doing it for about twenty years!

By the way, Meantraitors isn't mainstream, it is way ahead the stream !

Frans.

Go check it with your very own hears at
www.myspace.com/meantraitorsofficialpage
SuviSue
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:25 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

bad mouthin' man wrote:

If you're just starting in this, well I'm sorry but this may be a little too fast for you, if you've been here for a while and don't get it well there's no hope for you, it's time for retirement.

Shocked
hotrod
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:14 am  Reply with quote
Mastercunt

Location: right next door to hell..oh hang on,sorry i meant blackpool!

yesk commrade. Rolling Eyes

Cathay De Grande
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:28 pm  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

Only stuff worth listening to by them is their first two. this newest one bored me to death

ilbrutto
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:52 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

"Psychobilly / Hardcore "

I don't think those two words go together very well. But I liked the first two songs, the other two weren't as good.
bad mouthin' man
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:56 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

Cathay De Grande wrote:
Only stuff worth listening to by them is their first two. this newest one bored me to death

I am sad for you but maybe one morning you will wake up of your eternal sleep!
cheers.
bad mouthin' man
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:08 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

I don't know why?
I remember some bands playing psychobilly and doesn't want to be called a psychobilly band...
it is difficult to write about music, it's easier to listen to!
so I am happy that you like 2 songs...maybe 6 on the CD?
cheers.
ilbrutto wrote:

I don't think those two words go together very well. But I liked the first two songs, the other two weren't as good.
ilbrutto
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:25 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

bad mouthin' man wrote:
I don't know why?
I remember some bands playing psychobilly and doesn't want to be called a psychobilly band...
it is difficult to write about music, it's easier to listen to!
so I am happy that you like 2 songs...maybe 6 on the CD?
cheers.
ilbrutto wrote:

Well, hardcore and psychobilly really aren't compatible genres. Maybe our definitions of hardcore are different.
Shafraneck
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:22 am  Reply with quote

I like Meantrators very much. They're one of my favourites psycho-bands. Was in their gig in Kiev (Ukraine) 1 year ago - it was amazing! They played songs from "Heavy Boogie" and all their hits from earlier albums, they made a kick-ass-show that night! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

"Hevy Boogie" is very-very-good album, one of the best albums I bought in 2007. But for me "Angry Heart" is their best album.

Ukrabilly Bang #10
Jake Noose
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:43 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

i still don't know why their bassist moved to a bass guitar. he was crazy on the upright.

Shafraneck
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:13 am  Reply with quote

The Pope wrote:
i still don't know why their bassist moved to a bass guitar. he was crazy on the upright.

Not bassist moved to bass-guitar. There were some line-up changes in Meantraitors from their begining at 1989. The one and only member from original line-up is Stas Bogorad.
Their first & second albums where recorded with upright-bassist (or maybe with 2 different bassists, i'm not sure). But all later albums were recorded with bass-guitar and with another bassists.
And, as for me, changing doublebass to bass-guitar is not bad. They simply sounds different on their early albums and later. At early albums that was fuckin' fast slapping psychobilly (sometimes i've heard term "speedybilly" about their first 2 albums). But in later their music became more guitar-oriented, guitar-accented psycho. I like all of them albums, but my favourite one is "Angry Heart", recorded with bass-guitar...

Ukrabilly Bang #10
SuviSue
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:03 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Shafraneck wrote:
The Pope wrote:

Not bassist moved to bass-guitar. There were some line-up changes in Meantraitors from their begining at 1989. The one and only member from original line-up is Stas Bogorad.
Their first & second albums where recorded with upright-bassist (or maybe with 2 different bassists, i'm not sure). But all later albums were recorded with bass-guitar and with another bassists.
And, as for me, changing doublebass to bass-guitar is not bad. They simply sounds different on their early albums and later. At early albums that was fuckin' fast slapping psychobilly (sometimes i've heard term "speedybilly" about their first 2 albums). But in later their music became more guitar-oriented, guitar-accented psycho. I like all of them albums, but my favourite one is "Angry Heart", recorded with bass-guitar...

please post more often! Smile

I have small tits
Shafraneck
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:04 am  Reply with quote

SuviSue wrote:

please post more often! Smile

okey Wink
You'll subscribe to my posts? Very Happy

Ukrabilly Bang #10
Brandito666
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:30 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

I actually really liked this album. I think I only had to skip 1 song on the cd I forget which one it was.