[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Local discussions  ~  Canadian Psychos
dogboy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:52 pm  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

I am a newcomer to this board... and also Canadian. I am basically looking for some new bands to check out. I am tired of most of the crap I have been listening too lately... Sorry for the long post!!!
I am a long time guitar player, and a big fan of the older rockabilly stuff (Scotty moore, Gene Vincent etc... and I love Setzer). I am also probably much older then most people on this board! Maybe this is the wrong board to be posting on, but I am reading lots of shit talk!
Most of the billy bands that have been mentioned on this site are incredibly boring (to me at least). Tiger Army is one of the worst bands I have ever heard, and I think the Meteors are very cliche and mediocre at best. And I don't mean those statments offensively... there is no accounting for musical taste (I am sure there is some stuff I like that would make you cringe!)
This hole "zombie" music thing doesn't do much for me either... but at least there were some original bands (like the Cramps, RIP) that had some showman ship to their music and created a real vibe \ scene (dispite their lack of "ability"...and dont try to tell me Poison Ivey is a good guitar player!!!) They had some real roots (as evident by their choice of cover tunes etc...), and wrote some great songs (albeit very simple ones)!
That being said, most of these new breed of "psychobilly" bands seem to lack any roots in rockabilly, twang, and country. Which is where I though the whole "psychobilly" scene evolved from? It seems to be more of a fashion statement then a true musical "scene". Just because you throw an upright bass into the mix doesn't make you rockabilly band!
Now, to all these people hating the Matadors... at least he (hooch) knows how to play the hell out of his guitar, and has some real roots in the true rockabilly genre. There is the odd "zombie" song here and there, but at least they are done in a very entertaining way, and they have more showmanship then most other bands I have seen. But even they seem to have moved on past that whole zombie thing on their new album "Sweet Revenge". That album has some of the best guitar sounds, licks, and song writing I have heard in a long time! He isn't reinventing the wheel here... but neither are any of these other bands. But at least he does it with style and keeps it true to its roots!
Agreed, CreepShow isn't a favorite of mine either... but that is just my personal taste. No offense meant to Creepshow fans!
So back to my original point... Does anyone in here even play guitar or anything? Or are the people posting just "Lucky13" T-shirt wearing posers? I am just trying to undertand your point of view of the music?
I wont even bring up the whole Canadian thing...yet.
Fatbloke
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:51 pm  Reply with quote

I have lost count of just how wrong and misinformed of not only this genre but of this forum you are.

You have made very general sweeping statements about both which show your ignorance, the only thing you have got right is that you say you may be in the wrong place.

Welcome anyway, I doubt your stay here will be long, you should post that as an introduction in the correct place though and go from there.

Will be more deconstructive later when I have more time.
amyonfire
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:32 am  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

i don't know how you made it through reading the whole thing simon. i couldn't be bothered.

Booberella
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:37 am  Reply with quote

Fatbloke wrote:
I have lost count of just how wrong and misinformed of not only this genre but of this forum you are.

You have made very general sweeping statements about both which show your ignorance, the only thing you have got right is that you say you may be in the wrong place.

Welcome anyway, I doubt your stay here will be long, you should post that as an introduction in the correct place though and go from there.

Will be more deconstructive later when I have more time.

Well said Simon!!!
I read everything he had to say, and yeah, pretty much wrong on many many counts. And being 'older than most people on the board' means what? Fuck all apart from proving you're never too old to make a twat of yourself!!! And I highly doubt that you are anyway as loads of us are in our mid 30's and even 40's!

Dan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:26 am  Reply with quote

deliberate troll

Everything this person said was specifically crafted to generate a response.

From proclaiming The Cramps as being what made psychobilly and The Meteors being shit to being from Canada.

Nothing to see here, move along.

dogboy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:58 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

Ha ha! Wow, looks like I stirred up some controversy!
What is so misinformed about my statement? I simply said that a lot of people are shit talking Canada and the Matadors (in particular)... but no one has anything to back those statements up? What is it about them that sucks so much?
So my point \ question is still this... Do any of you people have an ounce of music skill or talent? Can you even play guitar \ bass \ drums? I ask this because I am trying to figure out what makes the shit talkers the authority on the matter? And calling me a twat is easy (and entertaining), but doesn't answer the question.
If you do play an instrument, and are anything even close to being proficient at your instrument of choice, I think you would agree that most of the new breed of billy bands just can't play very well and have nothing new to offer. There are only a few bands that stick out in terms of their talent and musicianship, and one of them is definately the Matadors.
And yes... if there are people on the board that are in their mid 30's to 40, then I am still older then most of you. And I am not bragging about my age (trust me!). I simply mention it to show that I have been a fan of music for a long time (the punk and billy genre in particular), and a guitar player for close to 30 years now. That doesn't make me an authority on the subject, but it definately gives me more perspective then some kid who thinks punk started with Green Day.
Most people that are apart of this scene now seem to be more into their hair do's and tattoo's then the music aspect of it... But whatever. they are just observation I am making.

So bring on the insults!
Booberella
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:03 am  Reply with quote

There are loads of musicians on the forum,I see you did your homework there Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes . Besides that, as far as I'm aware, everyone has a set of ears and if we hear something that sounds shit in terms of music then we're entitled to an opinion. No one said we were authorities, but we all have opinions and if you don't like it, hey, fuck off. Wink
You aren't clever enough to stir up 'controversy' so don't flatter yourself, and what you said wasn't really that interesting.
*yawn*

Dan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:05 am  Reply with quote

I do think you are the first person to mention The Matadors in quite a while.

Guessing you are some member of the band looking to stir up some buzz about the band or some sad little fan who wants everyone to love his favorite.

Yes there are a number of musicians on this board. Either way one does not need to be a musician to have an opinion on whether a band is shit or not. Technical proficiency in an instrument does not make a band great. There are many great musicians who write shit songs. It is all a matter of whether the music makes any sort of connection to the listener or not.
I have heard The Matadors before, really can't remember much about them. Didn't strike me as horrible, but didn't make any impression on me at all.

Move on. No one is insulting you, you just don't seem to have anything interesting to say.

dogboy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:42 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

I am not insulted, nor am I out to insult anyone... I just found the original thread postings pretty interesting. The whole theme of the thread is basically how Canada sucks, and all of the bands out of Canada suck. Those statements are fine, but the posters of those statments had nothing to back those statements up. So I figured I would poke around a little and see what everyone was really about Smile The responses are pretty entertaining! Looks like some people can dish it out, but they can't take it!
Anyway, moving on... the original reason I came into this board was to try and find some new music \ bands! As previously stated, I am pretty bored with a lot of the stuff out there right now! And between my job and kids, I just don't seem to be able to find the time to get out to live shows very often anymore. So I rely on the internet now for most of my music discovery! So if anyone has been turned onto anyone new or interesting, let me know (doesn't have to be a billy band either).

And BTW, I am in no way shape or form associated with the Matadors. They just happen to be a local band that I dig. I have seen them live a few times and enjoy their music. And as a guitar player, I really enjoy Hooch's playing. I don't know anyone in the band or anything... just to clear the air.
Seanzi_Dirtbag
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:22 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

Sweet Jesus, cut it out! Your posts are making me physically ill.

Fatbloke
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:54 am  Reply with quote

No ican't play a thing, but I like to think that with the years I have spent listening to bands I know a thing or two.

I have never driven a formula one car either, btu I am pretty sure micheal schumacher is shit hot at that, but how could I form an opinion never having driven one?

Do you need to be a musician to appreciate music?

And bening the crushing droning bore you obviously are shows why canadians in general suck.

I will mention a few of the "new" bands for you to check and see if they can play

Graveyard Johnnys
Henry and the Bleeders
Aces and Eights
Speedkings

I have seen all of these bands live, so I can vouch that every one of them can not only play, but also are not cliched lucky 13 bands at all. Infact I have fuck all interest in the generic psychobilly shit that you are reffering to.

SO anything else you need correcting on just ask.

Just try to keep it short, for fucks sake.
Dan
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:20 am  Reply with quote

Plenty of good Canadian bands.
Alley Dukes
Gutter Demons
BloodShot Bill

I am sure there are more, plenty of people on here recognize that. Just because some hate Canadians in general and many Canadian bands doesn't mean all Canadian music/people are dismissed off the bat (by everyone at least)

Fatbloke
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:22 am  Reply with quote

I think they are all cunts, this one isn't proving me wrong Laughing
dogboy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:22 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

Ahhh... the ever witty "you suck" come back. Thank you. I see a lot of thought went into that one. I welcome insults, but at least try to be somewhat intelligent and put some thought into the process!
Anyway, this is just beating a dead horse now.
I guess I am not going to get anyone's suggestions on some new and interesting billy bands?
Fatbloke
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:25 am  Reply with quote

dogboy wrote:

I guess I am not going to get anyone's suggestions on some new and interesting billy bands?

you mean like two posts above Rolling Eyes

oh and I might as well chuck in Blue Demon, they ain't to bad