[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Local discussions  ~  Canadian Psychos
BayouBilly
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:15 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

yeah, it's a bit much though. It looks like it was made by High School students in a Media course.
Crazy Diamond
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:24 am  Reply with quote
n00b

Twerp wrote:
What a stimulating conversation about Canadian psycho.

*cough*

Local bands ? anyone ?

Iím surprised this thread even made it to the fourth page. How stimulating of a conversation do you expect when you only have a handful of well-known names to work with? Most of which I wouldnít go out of my way to see.

The Matadors, while entertaining are nothing special. Creepshow bores the bloody hell out of me. The Brains and Alley Dukes seem to be getting some attention recently but I have yet to seem them live (soon to change). Deadcats are good but havenít toured in ages the Gutter Demons are one of the few shows coming up that Iím really looking forward to. Other than that I havenít paid much attention lately.

Local? The Farrel Bros and Fever Breaks. Both of which always put on a damn good show.
kreepella
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:44 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

are buzz deluxe and the sinkin' ships still playing around toronto?

BayouBilly
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:52 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

kreepella wrote:

Buzz Deluxe is...the opened for the Creepshow in Guelph. First time I ever heard of 'em. They put on a good show, I was impressed.
kreepella
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:19 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

BayouBilly wrote:
kreepella wrote:

Buzz Deluxe is...the opened for the Creepshow in Guelph. First time I ever heard of 'em. They put on a good show, I was impressed.

i really like them. i hope they make it out here this summer.

SpringHeeledJack
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:14 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

Crazy Diamond wrote:
Twerp wrote:
What a stimulating conversation about Canadian psycho.

*cough*

Local bands ? anyone ?

Iím surprised this thread even made it to the fourth page. How stimulating of a conversation do you expect when you only have a handful of well-known names to work with? Most of which I wouldnít go out of my way to see.

The Matadors, while entertaining are nothing special. Creepshow bores the bloody hell out of me. The Brains and Alley Dukes seem to be getting some attention recently but I have yet to seem them live (soon to change). Deadcats are good but havenít toured in ages the Gutter Demons are one of the few shows coming up that Iím really looking forward to. Other than that I havenít paid much attention lately.

Local? The Farrel Bros and Fever Breaks. Both of which always put on a damn good show.

also, we're all about 1000 miles from each other, so it's not like we can have those "going to the such and such's gig?" conversations

Seanzi_Dirtbag
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:17 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

I think my favourite Canadian billy band tight now are Gunsmoke, from my hometown Ottawa. Aside from personal biast of location and the fact that I had played with 50% of the band at one point or another, they're actually doing something a little different than whats coming out of Canada.

It seems every goddamn band from Canada now is taking cue from the Gutter Demons and singing strictly about horror and all that. Don't get me wrong, I love GD, but for every schlocky primarily punk clone band that starts up -that hasn't heard of anything other than Tiger army, Nekromantix, and Mad Sin- thats one more shred of credibility thats lost in the Canadian scene. Ive also noticed that it attract all these kids that are into punk, who want to find a new affectation, and who don't get the chance to experience anything other than the psycho-zombie queen abortions of bands that are out there. and once said kids grow up a little, these one trick pony bands seem retarded. Then these kids end up denouncing the entire scene because its so limited and schlocky, and go around shit talking it, stopping other people from getting into it. Creating no crowd for the good bands to play to.

Anyhoo. These guys are fucking great. They play an assortment from Neo-rockabilly, swinging country, and more upbeat 80s-ish psycho.

Heres their Myspace, check out their songs: Blammo

I just wish they'd smarten up and play out more.

EMMILY
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:22 pm  Reply with quote
n00b

After moving to Arizona from Toronto the scenes are so different it almost hurts my brain.

Toronto is a huge fucking clique and if you don't know the inside jokes - you're out. Which is fine for people like me who just want to see decent shows and hear decent music.
Arizona has ALOT more shows and bands, some worth mentioning.. most not but its fun and thats what matters most of the time. I wish I could say the same for Toronto.

As for what Sean said... I couldn't agree more. I'm being more and more disinterested in seeing a contest of who can dress up like a zombie the most...or who has the coolest tiger army tattoo.
________
Intrepid

Last edited by EMMILY on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seanzi_Dirtbag
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:00 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

EMMILY wrote:
After moving to Arizona from Toronto the scenes are so different it almost hurts my brain.

Toronto is a huge fucking clique and if you don't know the inside jokes - you're out. Which is fine for people like me who just want to see decent shows and hear decent music.
Arizona has ALOT more shows and bands, some worth mentioning.. most not but its fun and thats what matters most of the time. I wish I could say the same for Toronto.

As for what Sean said... I couldn't agree more. I'm being more and more disinterested in seeing a contest of who can dress up like a zombie the most...or who has the coolest tiger army tattoo.

I kind of experienced the same thing when I moved from Canada to LA to NY. After LA I thought that it was the LA psycho scene that pissed me off so much, with its millions of scene-sters. After living in NY for a while and having a little more contact with surrounding area scenes and keeping in contact with other Canadians who frequent shows, I realized that New York was just a vortex in the North American scene. It seems that its really close knit, but at the same time doesnt alienate any newcomers or non fashionistas. Another great thing about the New York shows is that most of them will more than likely be packed, but with a huge variety of people who are a fan of the music or just curious. It seemed to have bypass that problem that happens with most music groups that become a 'scene'. Where people try to start competing in who can look cooler, and start generating animosity towards newer younger people coming into the scene. So far after playing in a bunch of American cities I haven't really found another city like that. Small towns don't count, because there usually aren't enough people there to create an actual scene. There are usually a few psychobilly kids, but the rest of the crowd tend to be punks or other people that are curious.

EMMILY
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:00 pm  Reply with quote
n00b

Seanzi_Dirtbag wrote:
EMMILY wrote:

I kind of experienced the same thing when I moved from Canada to LA to NY. After LA I thought that it was the LA psycho scene that pissed me off so much, with its millions of scene-sters. After living in NY for a while and having a little more contact with surrounding area scenes and keeping in contact with other Canadians who frequent shows, I realized that New York was just a vortex in the North American scene. It seems that its really close knit, but at the same time doesnt alienate any newcomers or non fashionistas. Another great thing about the New York shows is that most of them will more than likely be packed, but with a huge variety of people who are a fan of the music or just curious. It seemed to have bypass that problem that happens with most music groups that become a 'scene'. Where people try to start competing in who can look cooler, and start generating animosity towards newer younger people coming into the scene. So far after playing in a bunch of American cities I haven't really found another city like that. Small towns don't count, because there usually aren't enough people there to create an actual scene. There are usually a few psychobilly kids, but the rest of the crowd tend to be punks or other people that are curious.

Well I suppose I'm in luck - moving to NYC in a short while..
I can see LA being the worst of the worst on account of it being LA- and the bands that come out of that place.

Toronto I almost find the same though... alot of the people who I used to know who "hated psychobilly crap" ect ect are now the ones with the blonde streak of hair in their crusty pompadour or the punk kids who I knew with the strategically placed holes in their fishnets are now into tiger army and horror pops. I feel it ruins it because they act like snobs... which to me is odd.

I don't like this hierarchy bullshit Toronto has, it ruins the shows... and makes people feel alienated and uncomfortable when really [to me] its about having a good time...not dressing up so the cool kids table notices you...

going to shows in Toronto feels like crashing a private party. [unless your friends with everyone]
________
Starcraft 2 replay

Last edited by EMMILY on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
kreepella
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:05 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

EMMILY wrote:
Seanzi_Dirtbag wrote:
EMMILY wrote:

Well I suppose I'm in luck - moving to NYC in a short while..
I can see LA being the worst of the worst on account of it being LA- and the bands that come out of that place.

Toronto I almost find the same though... alot of the people who I used to know who "hated psychobilly crap" ect ect are now the ones with the blonde streak of hair in their crusty pompadour or the punk kids who I knew with the strategically placed holes in their fishnets are now into tiger army and horror pops. I feel it ruins it because they act like snobs... which to me is odd.

I don't like this hierarchy bullshit Toronto has, it ruins the shows... and makes people feel alienated and uncomfortable when really [to me] its about having a good time...not dressing up so the cool kids table notices you...

going to shows in Toronto feels like crashing a private party. [unless your friends with everyone]

i miss toronto shows. i thought it was a great place. i found the people there really friendly. i guess we all have different experiences.

switch boy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:25 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

I noticed some one mentioned the shadow in guelph and was wondering if any of you are coming out to the treblemakers and primordials show on the 28th?

Haven't heard the primordials so I can't say wht there like, but treblemakers are a great sufferish rock band. It's got Zak from the alley dukes (RIP)

Plus my band, The Axxxidentals (no we are not edge) will hopefully be opening, not psycho, more punk and ska, but with an influence from rock n roll, rockabilly, psychobilly, surf and all that good stuff.

switch boy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:27 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

Oh yeah, and I'm in the K/W area

switch boy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:10 pm  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

Yeah, it's confirmed we are playing on the 28th, so if any of you are in the guelph area you should come check it out. here's the info

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=13136295906

Crazy Diamond
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:05 am  Reply with quote
n00b

Seanzi, I couldnít have said it better myself. I was once optimistic that Psychobilly could get a decent following here (as in Wpg) but it seems that lately all weíve been getting are the very bands youíve described; a primarily punk clone with a far too little collection of actual psychobilly influences.

I havenít heard anything that really impressed me lately, but then again Iíve been rather detached. I was hoping that when I move to Toronto it would restore some faith but the two of you kind of killed that for me now o.0

I donít see the Toronto crowd bothering me much though, as I was never into the social aspect of shows. Iím there for the music.