<  Reviews of albums  ~  Johnny Nightmare - Here's Johnny
Der Fleischer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:08 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

Review from www.psychobillyplanet.com
www.psychobillyplanet.com/?id=895

Johnny Nightmare: Here's Johnny
By Reporter (22/07/2008)

I hate returning from holidays - you force your way through a pile of utility bills and the odd letter from someone from Nigeria who wants to rest 6 billion dollars in your account. Some bastard has put speed grow on your lawn and some smart arse has smashed your empty milk bottles around your front step ..... Welcome home!

However, this return was slightly different as I was treated to the crunching noise of a CD case under my feet. The new Johnny Nightmare album had arrived!

I carefully separated the unmarked CD from the shattered case and put it on ................

First impressions?

Meaty and full of no nonsense psychobilly!

and there's more .....

We all have a collection of albums that could be filed under "psychobilly-by-numbers" - a formulaic album of the bum-tit-bum-tit drums variety however this album most certainly is not!

Let me give you an example:

"Hero in the Sunset" - a quite superb instrumental that starts off with a anarchaic build up before exploding into a riff that quite honestly blows away Motorheads "Ace of Spades" and makes you want to scrap with the first person that walks past you....

The track then slows down, twists and turns. The track is the epitome of the mentality of a band that doesn't follow a scene but leads the way.

.. and holy fu*k! - Dax Dragster (ex-Godless Wicked Creeps) can play!

All the tracks are top shelf quality with my favourite being "Hall of Flies" - a great psychokiller!

If you have the pleasure of being anywhere near to where Johnny Nightmare are playing - you really do owe it to yourself to go and see them! - I've just found the perfect reason to visit my brother who lives in Denmark.

10 out of 10

Der Fleischer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:47 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

The original review is on this page: www.psychobilly.boo.pl and is translated from Polish.

JOHNNY NIGHTMARE - HERE'S JOHNNY (Crazy Love Rec., 2008)

If you have enjoyed GODLESS WICKED CREEPS, I am sure that you will also favour Johnny Nightmare. It is a brand new band from Danmark, but musicians creating the band are not newbees. Vocalist and bassist – Dax Dragster has formerly participated in GWC.

One can say that this record sounds just like the fifth issue of GWC.

We can hear speed and brute psychobilly here, however the proverbial slaughterhouse is so far away as Johny Nightmare in the philharmonic.

Dissecting the whole sound pouring awayout of the speakers, we can assume that there is an over-steered guitar with single string sounds joined together into a razor-blade speed and hot unit; with double bass banging so ruthless that the bassist has probably lost all is fingers when recording and percussions beating sharp and steady like a steam hammer. This set of infernal sounds, together with a really possessed vocal gives us a devilish music together

Frankly, I did not hear so weird but good record for a long time; it sounds really as it has been recorded by three wackos from a closed madhouse. If one would like to find a thin piece here he should be surely only a pop fan.

We have 13 mad gallops on the vinyl, and the level is moved so high from the first one that the deeper is only better.

The culmination comes in the fifth piece – Psychokiller where madness and lunacy cross their limits.

The is no way of listing all good pieces originally played by, as you should read the whole list then?

There is also one cover - „In league with satan", played originally by the forerunner of black metal – VENOM, among Johnny's Nightmare own tracks on this record.

The graphic is also very good, it looks like a soundtrack from a horrormovie.

Frankly recommended from the bottom of my heart.

(written by Kostek)

A new review from www.deadboypro.com

Johnny Nightmare - Here's Johnny
Review by Hell Cesar

Johnny Nightmare's first full length Here's Johnny is straight up "no bullshit psychobilly"! The band stars Dax Dragster as THE MANIAC, Butch E.R. as DER FLEISCHER, and Count Elwing as THE STRANGLER.

"Demon Seed" is a great intro where everyone displays their musical talent and a taste of what's to come. The bass lines are clean and well defined like none other. Dax will end up a legend in the psychobilly genre without a doubt. Butch is on guitar with some awesome licks. Dax and Butch also have some great melody sing alongs with songs like "My Burning Bride", "Tonight", "Red Devil, Black Devil". The Count on his drums is a great back bone to the madness! " Psychobilly Cadillac" has awesome harmonica whaling through out the song. "Psycho Killer" includes great lyrics like "Now I've turned into what they always said - a maniac, a psycho killer." Wrecking on the Dance Floor" is a great anthem to all the wrecking crews and psychos at the shows.

Definitely a must have if your into psychobilly music and a fan of such bands as Godless Wicked Creeps, Nekromantix, Mad Sin, and The Quakes.

They touch on everyday topics involving Satanists, Killers, and Maniacs. It's an uplifting album that just makes you wanna go out and kill! (Kill at own risk!) I know personally when I play it in the car it makes it go fast without a care of my own life or anyone else for that matter. I have not been more excited for a psychobilly record since I first heard Godless Wicked Creeps or Gorillaz!

So if you like horror movies, Satan, great guitar licks, blasting drums, brilliant upright bass, check out Johnny Nightmare!

..tr>..table> .. -->[if gte vml 1]> ..[endif]-->.. -->[if !vml]-->.... -->[endif]-->

Review from Psychomania No.5
JOHNNY NIGHTMARE
HERE'S JOHNNY
Crazy Love Records
CD 37:19 Min.
Spielfreudig zeigt man sich direkt schon beim Opener. Schneller Psychobilly, mit Chören, Melodie im richtigen Moment und Vollgas-Slap. Yo!, so hört man das gern. Teilweise erinnert das auch ein bisschen an Nekromantix zu neueren Zeiten – aber mit genug eigener Note. 13 Songs und ein wirklich ordentlich aufgemachtes Booklet runden die Sache ab. Das Ding dürfte ohne wenn und aber seine Ohren finden. Wer also noch ein Plätzchen neben seiner „Return of the loving Death" von den Nekros frei hat, kann hier den freien Platz mit dieser Scheibe guten Gewissens füllen! ..und wer so nett mit „In league with Satan" an Venom erinnert, kann ebenfalls keine schlechte Seele sein.. Bezirk 7-Markus

Welsh John
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:53 am  Reply with quote

Now those are some fuckin' good reviews Shocked Very Happy , I'll get a copy of this asap, always liked the G.W.C's & caught both line up's live Very Happy Cool , really nice guys too.

Dr Phibes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:42 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Just had a listen to your Myspace site. I like Wink

Too old to die young.
fatty231
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:21 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Yeah mate just been listening to the stuff on myspace and i like that, no bullshit psychobilly....Gonna get a copy asap!
SpookySam
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:00 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Had a listen to your myspace, damn good stuff! Very Happy

www.myspace.com/cowboyandthecorpse
tobe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:02 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

And they are playin over here @ the end of March i think ? ~ supporting Sick sick sinners from Brazil ( ex Os Catalepticos ) : London is the only one i know of so far Wink

Der Fleischer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:11 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

Thanks for the comments!!! Yeah, we will do a one-off gig in London with the Sick Sick Sinners and Killing Seymore on april the 25th. So we are looking forward to get a taste of that British beer and to visit the country where psychobilly was born Razz

gato bastardo
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:54 am  Reply with quote

Der Fleischer wrote:
Thanks for the comments!!! Yeah, we will do a one-off gig in London with the Sick Sick Sinners and Killing Seymore on april the 25th. So we are looking forward to get a taste of that British beer and to visit the country where psychobilly was born Razz

Well you are just going to love Canada!

Der Fleischer
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:53 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

gato bastardo wrote:
Der Fleischer wrote:

Well you are just going to love Canada!

So what you are saying is that psychobilly was born in Canada? OK, you've been part of the scene for a long time, so I guess you are right. Is it true that wrecking is a special kind of kungfu fighting?

Brutus
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 2:45 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

Killer album, love it. Wink

Melodía Sánchez
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:14 pm  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

I enjoy the reviews and can't wait to give the band a listenin as soon as i get outta my 9-5 job. f*ing nar review kitties