[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of albums  ~  doing the lord's work-the meteors
DeadKittyKatz
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:25 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

Doin’ the Lord’s Work is the latest album by The Meteors. And if their lord is Satan then the title is accurate because dark and borderline schizophrenic seem to be the first words that come to my mind when I listen to this album. Just saying the words “The Man in the Cunt Skin Mask” makes an overly concerned mother break into a sweat somewhere. The first psychobilly band is never above changing things, experimenting, and taking influence from others to keep the sound fresh and impressive. The album gives me the same feeling as the first two Quakes albums-where I want to go back in time and help my 9 year old self beat the shit out of people (but to a lesser extent)

I love how clear the bass is on the album, instead of just trying to hide it away or let it overlap with other instruments as many other bands have done/do. The album simultaneously feels like old school 80s psychobilly with a twist of the modern stuff as well. The distinct vocals that Fenech puts out are disturbingly wonderful. Favorite songs have to be “It’s a Long Way Down” and “She Screams for Me,” but the album is gold as a whole.

I always try to point out the good and the bad in an album. But in this case I am struggling. There isn’t too much to dislike about this album. The Meteors know what they are doing and it shows. But there are 3 instrumentals and that is 3 too many as far as I am concerned.

The Meteors are still kicking it after over 30 years, and with stuff like “Doin the Lord’s Work” I look forward to the next 30. Buy this album. Now.

OTMAPP