[Reviews]
[Shop]
[Sounds]
[Tabs]
[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of concerts and festivals  ~  Rumble on the Beach III, Concorde 2, Brighton, 28 August '11
Hawaiian
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:43 pm  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

So, two of my favourite bands, The Peacocks and The Caravans are playing in Brighton? Thatís a must see, so I put on the Hawaiian shirt, jumped in the hot rod, er, Picasso and made the 70 mile trip from west London.

Iíd not been to the Concorde 2 since the mid-nineties when I got a lift down to Brighton to see Link Wray. I have to say I didnít recognise the place, either itís changed or, well to be honest, it was some night and itís all a bit of a blur. Come to think of it, was it just the Concorde then? That might explain it. Who knows? Who cares?

So I got there just in time to see the end of the Devil Wrays set (I missed Bad Bad Whiskey). Not bad and it was good to see the second guitarist later in the wreck and also making an unscheduled appearance on stage during a burlesque act. Not quite sure what that was all about, but letís just say he was showing his appreciation for the act.

So onto the Caravans. A mix of classics from throughout their long recording history, including a nod to Klub Foot days with Gonna Love Ya, a few tracks from the excellent No Mercy album, the inevitable (and classic) More Whiskey and a growling Okie Boogie to end with. Iíd last seen them back Levi Dexter at the Ace Cafť a few years back and can report theyíre as good as ever.

Next up the Peacocks. Well, actually, next up was a brief turn by a burlesque act, Miss Cherry Pie. Judging by audience reaction Iím not sure it was worth putting on the bill. Still, as I said at least someone enjoyed it and it got the punters back in the hall in time for the Peacocks, a band I remember hearing about years ago and then picking up their Angel CD in a great little record shop in Ottawa a few years back. I had it in my car stereo for months after and finally caught them in London last year. They were superb and in Brighton they were excellent again. A mix of old and new, including a storming Letter to the Censors, and a fair amount of wrecking. Great bands, great show.