[Reviews]
[Shop]
[Sounds]
[Tabs]
[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of concerts and festivals  ~  Meteors, Sheffield Sat 15th Jan At Penelopes
bigpat
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:51 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

So waking on a Sunday mornin with a hangover & nursing my lumps & bruises I decide to write a review of the previous nights festivities!
Meeting up with some 'old school' mates in a boozer called the Globe we preceided to down a few sodas' & talk bolloks about the olden days in the early eighties when we still had hair & would travel to see the Meteors at venues like 'Rockwells','The porterhouse' & 'The Hellfire Club'.
A short walk round the corner to the venue we found our host & promoter Rob Russ on the door whome I greased with a bunch of cash & got a stamp on mi skin. The venue 'Penelopes' reminded me of the 'Limmit Club' ( last time the meteors played there we enjoyd being entertaind by P. Fenech chasing us around with a two foot long machette!) low ceiling, dark & dingey with a good atmosphere - lots of old & regular faces around a real good turn out -Respect to Rob Russ's publicity machine.
First up on the bill were 'Steve &The Raise'- 3 young local lads who I'm sure will evolve into a great band, good origional tunes, a sweet sounding Telecaster guitar & driving aggresive drums complimented this fine combos efforts in getting the slamming started - be sure to catch em'
Next up we were treated to the 'Epilectic Hilbillys' - Paul, Billy & Steve Oxley -they have to be the result of years of incest & inbreading -realy getting the party started with great songs, bags of personality, even the dog/bitch on drums was'nt bad! Things were starting to get sweaty & the pit started to swell- the little stage was no obstical as I got launched & ended up in a pile next to the drumkit, great set boys!
The Magners was goin down real good & the bar was 4 deep as 'The Speedkings' took the stage dressed up in their 'Resovour Dogs' garb, I enjoyed a couple of their slower tunes with a bluesy feel to them.
Working the room people had traveled from all over to party,from up north(The Meow Club) , we had shandy drinking Essex Psychos all having a good crack with us Steel City Psycho numbties.
Time for the main event, as people trembeled in anticipation The Meteors took the stage & like a rasping sledgehammer the sounds turned everyday regular guys into raging maniacs, yes take the floor & have a slam but don't expect to be on your feet for long - unless your over 16 stone! this was a truley heavy weight affair - I had to use every tick up my sleave & resort to the trusty forearm smash to save my hometurf pride. The Meteors ripped through a set of favorits old & new, Fenech chantig his 'fuck you ' retorich throughout, madder than ever...........
Then it was over,the stench of body oder, fuct nackard bodies with red torsos & bloodshot eyes, the brotherly camaradere all in good spirit.
Sweaty psycho chicks with red cheeks- all had a great time, we filed outside to fill our lungs with fresh air & nicotine & say our goodbys till next time...
So we look forward to see what else 'Mosh n' Go' have in store for us in Steel city, & if your in the neghbourhood, The Son's Of El'Roacho play Barnsley Courthouse on Friday The 28th Jan, free entry, next tme amigos!' Big Pat

spug5ter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:14 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

Nice review fella

with fatty231 peeking at the back

fatty231
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:41 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

We had a great time travelling down from Newcastle....ALL 4 bands were great and the wrecking was a bit "tasty" for the meteors.....i ache all over from that and have a boot print on my face......ya cant beat it i tell ya Cool

jim1969
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:29 pm  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

that bloke wreckin with half green hair .i know him from brum i think.met at loads of gigs anyone know his name .looked like a great night to. Wink
spug5ter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:01 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

jim1969 wrote:
that bloke wreckin with half green hair .i know him from brum i think.met at loads of gigs anyone know his name .looked like a great night to. Wink

Someone has just tagged him on my facebook page - Jason Murray

Barfboy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:16 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Cheers for a very decent review. Intro now?
barn3y666
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:32 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Both really good gigs ! Wink

jim1969
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:09 pm  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

spug5ter wrote:
jim1969 wrote:

cheers mate nice one .im on fb will look it up.what are you under wouldnt mind checking out photos.
fatty231
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:24 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

jim1969 wrote:
spug5ter wrote:
jim1969 wrote:

cheers mate nice one .im on fb will look it up.what are you under wouldnt mind checking out photos.

Ive just put a load up Jim.....Graeme jackson....feel free to have a look mate!!! No stalking me thou Wink

spug5ter
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:26 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

jim1969 wrote:
spug5ter wrote:
jim1969 wrote:

No bother.... my sunday name is Paul Spowart.... just send a friend request

jim1969
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:22 pm  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

fatty231 wrote:
jim1969 wrote:
spug5ter wrote:
jim1969 wrote:

Ive just put a load up Jim.....Graeme jackson....feel free to have a look mate!!! No stalking me thou Wink
shit you have sussed me out mate Wink
jim1969
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:23 pm  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

spug5ter wrote:
jim1969 wrote:
spug5ter wrote:
jim1969 wrote:

No bother.... my sunday name is Paul Spowart.... just send a friend request
will do cheers mate Wink
Chucky
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:20 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

The Porterhouse in Retford?? if so thats my old stomping ground......good memories! same too for Sheffield, lived there till I moved to Oz. Is Dave Razorback on here? he used to live down the road from me and it'd be good to catch up again.

bigpat
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:42 pm  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

Hi Chucky, Dave Razorback lives up the road from me & still does the circut he prints & sells tee shirts. My old band 'The Zyclones' played the Porterhouse a couple of times, still have great memories of the place, best regards Pat. Twisted Evil