[Reviews]
[Shop]
[Sounds]
[Tabs]
[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of concerts and festivals  ~  Guana Batz/Hyperjax/Speedkings - Sheffield 31/10/2010
monstermash
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:03 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Yeah, I'm back. Laughing

Well, somebody once called Halloween "the psychobilly Christmas", so what better way to spend your time that night than seeing one of the world's premier psycho bands tear it up, accompanied by two of the UK's best younger upstarts?

First up were the Speedkings... I did walk in towards the end of their set but as I've seen the lads more times than I can count (and I went to university and everything so I can count pretty high) I feel I can safely comment that they were their usual high standard. Since Tony came into the band on drums at the start of this year the trio seem to have gelled together like never before and their brand of furious and hungry motored-up rockabilly is winning them fans everywhere they go.

Instead of the Hyperjax playing we had a special supergroup for the evening... on bass, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, on drums, Fat Mike from NOFX's alter-ego, Cokie the Clown and on vocals, current Doctor Who Matt Smith...

... no, wait a second, it's the Hyperjax after all. Credit to them for being the only band who dressed up, and I am willing to sacrifice my psycho cred to admit that I was one of the 99% of folk there who didn't realise who Liam was meant to be (maybe if he'd blacked up, hahaha!). But fucking hell, Sam was the spitting image of the Doctor!

Some minor technical problems aside (nothing like the last time I saw them play alongside the Batz, when Liam's bass decided it'd had enough and destroyed itself) they played a great set, with all the songs you want (Wildest Card, Talkin New York City, Happy Pillz, Navigator, Whatever Happened To The Krewmen?...) and some fun banter to fill in the times when stuff stopped working.

So, the Guana Batz were a little truncated. Pip had apparently come down with the ebola virus or somesuch, and I guess that as the venue wouldn't allow him to bring the toilet on stage with him to continually vomit into, he was unable to perform.

But, as they say, the show must go on. So with the band playing as a three-piece, Stuart gamely stepped up to lead vocal duties. He'd be the first to admit he's not the best singer in the world but he soldiered on to give the crowd what they had come for - a selection of Batz hits and covers played fast and furious (the venue's slightly patchy sound adding to the punky edge to the material). And fortunately he had the likes of Little Jo in the crowd to help him out when he forgot the opening lines of a couple of songs!

The band also roped in a couple of local boys for guest vocals. So Billy Oxley (Radiacs/Epileptic Hillbillys), bringing enough personality for three frontmen, tore the venue a new one for a couple of the faster songs, before handing over for Big Pat Ryalls (Sons of El Roacho/Zyclones) to croon his way through I'm On Fire, causing at least one lass to be so overcome she lost her top Wink

The wrecking throughout was some of the most vigorous I've seen in a while - seriously, what do they feed 'em up in Sheffield? Big, big lads punching the sweaty fuck out of each other seems par for the course there. And in the end the Batz walked off, after a triumphant audience-participated King Rat, as heroes, for managing to put on a great show despite the handicap of having no frontman!

All in all another great night in Sheffield, courtesy of that nice Mr Russell and Mosh n Go.

...there's just one downside to going out to a psycho gig on Halloween - namely, some fucker got fake blood on my nice white Meteors t-shirt... Halloween? Cuntoween more like.

alcoholic rat
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:34 am  Reply with quote
Wanker

Good review Andy. Turned out to be a good night despite everything.

spug5ter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:29 pm  Reply with quote
Wanker

Great review... I was gutted when Stu announced a Pip-less night... but the band played a belter set - Stu solderied on and Billy was full on

The trip down from Newcastle wasn't wasted!

moshngo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:41 am  Reply with quote
n00b

Thanks for a great night everyone, to those who gave Gina some massive bruises in the wrecking pit, to Andy for the first class review and to everyone who had a ball, this is a brief message to clear a few things up that arose on the night.

This is to all the MOSH’N’GO regulars, first timers and psychobillies who attended the Halloween MOSH’N’GO at Penelope’s in Sheffield on Sunday 31st October with THE GUANA BATZ, The Hyperjax and Speedkings.

My name’s Rob Russell and I am the driving force behind MOSH’N’GO and have been putting psychobilly shows on in Sheffield since 2004. I have a passion for this music and am certainly not in it for the money.

I would like to take this opportunity to clear a few things up.

On Sunday night, Pip fell ill…a gruelling tour schedule and some extreme food poisoning meant that he was physically unable to perform for the first time since the band started in the ‘80s. The band came up to me at 21:50 and asked whether it would be possible to perform as a three piece to give the crowd the classic Guana Batz songs and give them what they’d paid for as Pip was incredibly unwell (I’ll leave Choppy’s apt description to your imagination) and myself and the band came to the decision that the best thing to do would be to allow Stu, Choppy and Jonny to perform the set.

At 18:00 the band had already sound checked at the venue. So the rumours that Pip wasn’t even in the country are rubbish. Pip was in the country and was in the city. He had been at the venue but was LATER unable to perform.

I am the promoter and I need to make sure that everything runs smoothly so the best thing for me to do was to allow three quarters of the band to perform and thankfully 99% of the crowd loved the guys for that.

As to those who think I’m a miracle worker and think that I can heal the sick with just the sultry tones of my voice on the end of the phone, I think you were taking the piss threatening me, my partner and the owner of the venue in your petty demand for a refund.

And to say that I’ve ruined the Sheffield psychobilly scene is laughable.

In short: Pip fell ill, he was in the country, no I didn’t know before the doors opened, no I couldn’t have put a poster up to say he was ill, yes I realise that you’re disappointed and what Stuart announced on stage was incorrect; the band may have known Pip was unwell but I was unaware until 21:50…that’s 25 minutes before they went onstage.

I have personally heard from Pip who has apologised for the whole situation, he feels terrible for this happening but it was an uncontrollable event. For those of you not on the Guana Batz friends page on facebook, here is the email he sent out to everyone else:

“This is a sincere apology to anyone that came out Sunday night to see the Batz play in Sheffield.

As anyone that was there knows, for the first time in almost 30 years of playing, I was unable to play the show and had to leave it to the rest of the band,at the very last minute,to cover for me the best they could.

I had been hit by the worst food poisoning that I've ever experienced which made any level of performing impossible. I had hoped to perhaps play sitting down even if it meant puking between or during each song (which would have at least created some amusing moments!) but as it drew closer to me having to leave the hotel for the club I realised that maybe this wasn't even possible. At 9pm I tried to make it to the elevator from my room and was found leaning against a wall talking to myself by Jonny who then helped me back to my room. My night got worse from then on!

I have already contacted Rob Russell of Mosh n go gigs, the promoter, to offer my apologies and to thank him for doing the best he could under the circumstances. He's a very stand up guy with an obvious passion for the scene which makes the whole thing even worse. But ultimatly, I want to say a big "sorry" to everyone that showed up. I know a lot of people traveled a long way and I feel terrible about the whole situation. I hope you can all understand and realise that there was no other option for the band or promoter. I just wish I could have been there to witness Stuart, Billy and Big Pat doing their best Pip impressions!!!

Hope to see you all at a future show.
Cheers,
Pip. “

I came very close to stopping promoting psychobilly again thanks to the efforts of several assholes who, as mentioned above, threatened myself, my partner and the owner of the venue just because they weren't happy.

I look forward to seeing the 99% of people who weren't dicks at The Meteors on Saturday 4th December at Penelope's.

Sticks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:50 pm  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

lol.........The Radiacs
SpeedKing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:06 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Sticks wrote:
lol.........The Radiacs

Hmmm... I don't get it. Confused

www.facebook.com/speedkingsuk

www.myspace.com/speedkings
monstermash
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:01 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

SpeedKing wrote:
Sticks wrote:
lol.........The Radiacs

Hmmm... I don't get it. Confused

Me neither?

Perhaps "Sticks" is amused that I linked Billy Oxley to the Radiacs in my review despite the Oxley brothers no longer being involved with that band... although I also linked him to the Hillbillies, and when I mentioned Big Pat I linked him to the defunct Zyclones as well as the Sons...

I wasn't differentiating between past and current projects, simply identifying the individuals who sang with the Batz to the bands they might be known for.

People can feel free to mentally add an "ex-" if it makes them happier.

moshngo
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:53 am  Reply with quote
n00b

"Sticks" felt the need to mention The Radiacs in this thread as in May 2010 I was the promoter of that band's first hometown show in 20 years....however, 4 days before the show was due to happen the band pulled out.

So, the current line up of The Radiacs no longer has the Oxley boys...but it does still have some original members.

Although, to find it funny is another reason why The Radiacs aren't on any MOSH'N'GO shows