Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of albums  ~  Manic Pistoleros - s/t
LiamRevenge
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:40 am  Reply with quote
Cuntmaster

Manic Pistoleros - s/t

This self-released, self-titled 7-track effort from this Australian four-piece recently found its way to me via some travelling Antipodeian friends and came highly recommended. "Check this out mate, they fucking piss all over Zombie Ghost Train" was enough to have me interested, and this EP certainly lives up to such high expectations!

Opener 'Don't waste my time' instantly sets the tone with a sound not dissimilar to mid-90s European Psychobilly in the vein of early Nekromantix or Godless Wicked Creeps. There's no 'metal', 'punk' or 'horror' in these boys brands of 'billy, its all straight-ahead fast guitar lines, frantic slapping, sharp drums coupled with melodic vocals and singalong choruses. There's definitely a certain element of contemporary Psychobilly present, especially on 'Under the Scalpel Blade' which wouldn't sound out of place on a Koffin Kats album, but its all well delivered and steers well clear of the Misfits-with-a-double-bass sound that much bands seem to rely on these days. The variety in pace is such that it keeps your attention throughout the ep's short 20-odd minutes, its not all played at breakneck speed and there's some stomping slower numbers that break up the pace nicely.

This is well recorded, well played and a fine debut release that could compete with anything being released by the big boys these days. Its a very contemporary Psychobilly sound yet one with all the right influences And yes, they do, indeed, piss all over Zombie Ghost Train. I could imagine this band stepping up and going onto bigger things if they can break out of the restricted scene in their homeland and make it over to Europe or the US. Do yourselves a favour and go and get a copy.

fatty231
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:42 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Gotta be honest im waiting for Raucous to get this in and ill purchase it, what ive heard i like...They do a song called "tequila song" (i think..off the top of my head) that i love.....Definitily on the want list!

savage
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:44 pm  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

also want to get a copy of this

AL
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:48 pm  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

Thanks for the great review! And cheers to James and co for passing the cd on!
For those who are interested this cd is now being officially distributed by 'Drunkabilly' in Europe .Otherwise its available from Pugmusic and Missing Link in Australia and Interpunk in USA.
We have heaps more songs in the works and will definately follow this ep up with an album. Hopefully Europe will be on the cards in 2011! Thanks again AL
tobe
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:11 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

i had this sent to me a while back ( cheers lads ! ) ~ and i can only say.... BUY IT !! ~ it's really worth seeking it out folks !
I did a review over on the Bedlam facebook thing a while ago.. so will copy n paste that over here for ya .
Hopefully will have some of these on the stall @ Bedlam if anyone wants a copy holding onto ? ~ if we get em in time ?!!!

AL
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:37 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

we'd love to see the review! If your getting the cd's from Drunkabilly they should have them by now i reckon. cheers
tobe
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:10 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Here ya go folks !!

This lot hail from Australia & i tell ya what... i'd love to get em over to Britain !! .. they have a great late 80's , early 90's feel to their sound.. which i love !!

TRACK 1 : don't waste my time ~ thumpin drum beats matched with a nice chunky slap bass and real good fast twangy guitar set the pace nicely for the rest of the disc !! .. a nice opener with a deep vocal sound which goes really well i think ! ~ it's got a nice psycho / rockabilly feel to it .. down to the slick guitar work !

TRACK 2 : wrong side of town ~ this is a mid paced track with a near "boppin" feel to it. Lot's of nice clicky slap going on with the bass... nice neat guitar throughout and a kinda infectious vocal.... the guy doesn't pretend he can sing like a lark !!... he just delivers an " in your face " style that i really like..... i suppose similar in delivery as Nigel Lewis ?!.. don't get me wrong tho , he doesn't sound like Nigel .. but he just whacks it out there ! ~ good number !

TRACK 3 : it's a jungle out there ~ this starts off with a drum beat reminiscent of a Demented are go track ( can't think which one off the top of my head tho ?!! )... great intro to a pretty heavy thumper of a track.... what i'd call a good " wreckin song" !... in places the guitar has little solos sounding similar to Doyleys spacey pickin style with the Klingonz ?!... also i love the no-nonsense style of the bass player too !.... more in ya face psychobilly to get the blood pumpin' to !

TRACK 4 : don't be such a baby ~ a much slower start to this one with the slap bass kickin it all off quickly followed by an almost "Henry and the bleeders " sounding guitar slick lickin style , growling entrance for the vocalist .. briefly !!... then BANG !.... FAST pace steps in with a good rhythm to it all .... the vocals ranting away on the chorus !.. another good slab of psycho meat for your lugholes !!

TRACK 5 ~ seeing double ~ the vocals on this one seem to be more at the forefront than most ?... it's sung with gusto !.... a good rockin feel to this one which is down to some good guitar work and a pretty catchy bouncing slap bass that would get a lot of the rockabillys out there pricking their ears up to !! .The drummer seems to really know his way around them there bongo thangs !!! haha.. well , lets just say he don't miss a beat and keeps the whole thing running nice and smooth !..

TRACK 6 : under the scapel blade ~ this is great !!... a real slow stomper ! .. okay , it's not an original song lyrically !... it's full of typical , traditional psychobilly things... human butchery !... mad doctors.. blood etc. but it's done in a real haunting way that i just loved... sends ya mind into a zombie fried state !! ~ listen to it after a few ... then you'll understand !!!

TRACK 7 : bloodbath on the road to nowhere ~ this one is quick !!! .... but i have to say .. my least favourite track !..... no , i'm not slagging it off !!.... i really like certain aspects of it... fantastic drumming in places , good chanting / bellowing vocals , a steady bass.. nothing too fancy ! & a talented guitar player too !.... but i didn't know whether to tap my foot ... nod my head ( as ya do !!! ) or punch my grannies lights out ?!!! ~ it was just one of those tracks that hasn't grabbed me yet !

Overall i'd recommend this to you if your into "old school" sounds !! ~ i don't go a bundle on that phrase.. but it does fit these Aussie psychos pretty well i think !.... it's really stripped back rockabilly that's been swallowed by "ole nick" .. and spewed straight back at ya... dripping with nastieness and ready to bite ya ass !! .
Thanks to the guys for sending this one in .... it's great, down to earth psychobilly played with a passion .... they should be proud of this .... as should all those psycho's down under be proud of the Manic Pistoleros !!. Just a bit of info on them.. they have Aidrian now playing with them .. of Vaudevillains fame .. on guitar ... so it should be interesting to see how quick they rise up that psychobilly ladder !! ~ he's good !! and keen as mustard when it comes to his music !!

AL
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:55 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

Hey, thanks heaps for taking the time to review each song! Much appreciated! Hopefully we can make it to Europe in the next year or 2. We are writing songs for the new album now and should have it ready for release early next year. thanks again.
tobe
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:18 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

AL wrote:
Hey, thanks heaps for taking the time to review each song! Much appreciated! Hopefully we can make it to Europe in the next year or 2. We are writing songs for the new album now and should have it ready for release early next year. thanks again.

A pleasure mate Wink ~ pm me a list of any vinyl ya after Al.. gotta collection come in last week Wink Very Happy

Chucky
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:00 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

I agree with everyone....top band and Adrians a good bloke. Bands like this are helping keep the australian scene new and interesting. keep it up boys!

AL
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:45 am  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

We have just released a new full length album, its available from Pug Music and Interpunk so far, Drunkabilly will have it soon! Who can i send it to on here for a review?!! cheers
Very Happy
Welsh John
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 2:06 am  Reply with quote

AL wrote:
We have just released a new full length album, its available from Pug Music and Interpunk so far, Drunkabilly will have it soon! Who can i send it to on here for a review?!! cheers
Very Happy

You can send it to meeeeeee....

Dan
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 5:45 am  Reply with quote

Welsh John wrote:
AL wrote:
Very Happy

You can send it to meeeeeee....

Better yet, send one to John and one to me. 2 reviews for the price of 2.

AL
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:30 pm  Reply with quote
So-Cal Kid

No worries i'll send you both a copy. Can you both PM me your postal addresses? cheers