[Reviews]
[Shop]
[Sounds]
[Tabs]
[Tattoos]

Search
wreckingpit.com:

PSYCHOBILLY FORUM

<  Reviews of albums  ~  Los Gatos Locos - Psychobilly Baptism!
Booberella
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Lost Gatos Locos ‘Psychobilly Baptism’
Tracks:
1. God Aint Listening
2. Hunting Humans
3. Psychobillyun Baptism
4. Orgy Of Blood (And Guts)
5. All Torn Up
6. Spoiler
7. Love Demon
8. Somebody’s Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In Tonight
9. Space Fever
10. Hate Train
11. Charlie Don’t Surf
12. Juvenile Delinquent
13. HeadHunters
14. El Locos
15. El Locos

The first track I heard off it was ‘Love Demon’ (I think thru a link someone posted on the old psychobilly mailing list?) and I distinctly remember the line ‘love demon in control, take your body rape your soul’ and I thought ‘that’s so perverse!’ So of course that meant I loved it. My friend Tom out in WA sent me the CD as I couldn’t find it in Kentucky (it was the late 90’s) and I couldn’t stop listening to it.
It’s dirty, it’s nasty, it’s sexy, it’s bloody and it’s brilliant. It’s what I think psychobilly should be. I can honestly say I play this one regularly on a weekly basis to this day.
‘God Ain’t Listening’ is the first track off it and it’s fast paced from the go followed by ‘Hunting Humans’. I have to say with regards to ‘Hunting Humans’, I think the lyrics to this are some of the best ever full stop. It incorporates different serial killers cleverly into the song, for example ‘I see the green river turning red up on the hillside voices in my head…’ Very well written, I’ve thought since I first heard it.
‘Psychobillyun Baptism’ is a classic in its own right. But one of my favorites is after that, Orgy of Blood (and Guts). I like the demented sort of hillbilly sound to it. ‘Hate Train’ is a bit like that as well for me. Another I absolutely love is ‘Headhunters’. Although I would describe them as fast paced, I wouldn’t say everything on the CD is. They have a diverse selection of songs. Looking at ‘Somebody’s Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In’ and some of the instrumentals, along with songs like ‘Orgy’ and you know these guys are good. They know their music and they can play.
Really, to point out one song that stands out above all others is impossible to do. At least for me, because they’re all excellent, and as far as albums go, I can’t recommend this one enough. It may not appeal to everyone-if you’re faint of heart then it won’t be for you. But then if you’re faint of heart, why you’re listening to psychobilly is an entirely different question!
Their music is fast paced, and you can tell they pull from different influences. They’ve got a real tight sound as well. Even if they’re doing a cover, it’s still their own. The vocals are not melodic, they sound ‘rough’ not polished, and that’s how it should be. The songs are aggressive, but have substance-I like the lyrics a lot.

I first heard this album when it came out and maybe there is a lot of nostalgia in that as it had a big impact on me, and what I listened to from that point on. But I love it as much now as I did when I first listened to it.

*This is the first review I've ever really done, so I really hope it's not terribly shit!*

DaFey
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:21 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

"Hunting Human" are one of the best songs i've ever heard... this should be a classic too, this is one of the hardest Psychobilly albums i own, they sound different in any way and i would like to listen something new in years to come...

This is great, i would like to review "Chills And Thrills...", that was the first Psychobilly album i gave a listen... and maybe they sound like shit now but they have like 3 or 4 great albums...

Cheers Uana, i like this and the Rev. review as well...

monstermash
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:57 am  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

one of my favourite albums, of any genre.

no disrespect to other bands who also did a version, but the LGL 'Someone's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked In' cover is the only one i have heard where i actually believed someone would get their head kicked in.

great review Uana

Booberella
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:44 am  Reply with quote

Oh thanks guys! I tried to do it justice, as I truly love this album, and have since I first heard it. It's also quite intimidating knowing that Chuck is on the forum and will see it, but I jumped at the chance to review it because it had a big impact on me.

gato bastardo
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Thanks guys! The review and comments are great, might even have to use them somewhere to shamelessly promote myself. Very Happy

We are working diligently on the new stuff, I hope we do ourselves justice. It's been difficult writing for several reasons, but my biggest challenge honestly is that I constantly find myself comparing anything I write to what was done on Psychobillyun Baptism. I'm always questioning whether or not it makes the grade. Anyway, thanks.

Booberella
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:52 am  Reply with quote

Well, I'm glad you liked the review Very Happy .
The shorter version would have been 'it's good horny music and you should have it already' but then I thought it deserved a bit more detail. Laughing

Shafraneck
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:59 am  Reply with quote

It was one of the first 15-20 psychobilly albums I've got...
A friend of mine downloaded it in poor mp3 quality and recorded it for me... Embarassed
I still have no CD... but I still listen to it regurlarly...

I like rough "barbed" vocals and fast paced music, ...
All songs are sung with such a passion, that I truely feel like God ain't listening to me after hearing the 1st song and, yes, agreed with Andy - I believe that somebody's gonna get their head definitely!

My favourite songs are "God ain't listening to you", "Hunting humans", "Psychobillyun Baptism", "Somebody’s Gonna Get Their Head ", "Love demon", "Hate Train" and "Space fever"

And Chuck - yeah you have a good challenge creating the songs for the new album! Godd luck to you!

Ukrabilly Bang #10
gato bastardo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:51 am  Reply with quote

It's really interesting to see which songs people liked the most from that album. I'm kind of surprised, and really reassured to be honest. Some of the songs that have become LGL standards were actually written by Jesse (Spectres, Wages of Sin, early LGL) like Juvenile Delinquent, All Torn Up, and Spoiler. One of my concern's with writing is that I don't write like Jesse, I learned English primarily from speaking it, he carries a degree in the language from Brown. Shocked It's good to know that the stuff I wrote are the songs that you guys like. I mean at the end of the day, I write them for me anyway. Los Gatos Locos has always been sort of a one sided medium of entertainment. We generally disdain our fans and if it wasn't absolutely necessary to have them, I don't think we would. Knowing that we do need the bastards though, it is good to know that it's the nastiness in my head that you people appreciate and not just the wit and prose of Jesse. Knowing that, I think I've got some real fucking winners for ya!

Booberella
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:57 am  Reply with quote

I didn't know he had written those, but going but what he did with the other two bands I kinda can see it now.
As far as LGL Hunting Humans is top of the list, but that really is the lyrics, I think they're fucking brilliant when compared to any song really. Not just saying that 'cause you're on here, it's the truth.
Actually, my favorites are probably the ones that Shafranek mentioned. God Aint listening, Psychobillyun Baptism, Love Demon, Orgy Of Blood and I love Headhunters!

I tend to like the lyrics that center around blood, hate, murder and sex, but maybe that's because I'm a bit mad in the head. Ah well!

gato bastardo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:15 am  Reply with quote

Booberella wrote:
I didn't know he had written those, but going but what he did with the other two bands I kinda can see it now.

I tend to like the lyrics that center around blood, hate, murder and sex, but maybe that's because I'm a bit mad in the head. Ah well!

Yeah he wrote those, and a few others from the Rarities album. Tombstone Boogie, Rockin Dead are his as well. I'm open to allowing the other members of my band to contribute lyrically, I encourage it actually. I think that's what made In Heaven such a classic album. The contrast in writing styles between Paul and Nigel made the album really flow. So far, I've been doing this whole album myself with a lot of input of course, if i'm lucky it will be the "Wreckin Crew" to our Psychobillyun Baptism.

I'm with you on the content though, I try to make the songs a bit more realistic in violent and sexual nature. Again, going back to my points on the 3 Blue Teardrops review. I like to be graphic and detailed, even disturbing at times instead of the normal "zombies are eating my brain" type of horror. I think a lot of bands draw influence in their horror lyrics from B-movies and comic book type stuff, and I try to draw more influence from Clive Barker and Stephen King, mixed with some Richard Ramirez and Charles Manson. Just so it never get's monotonous I throw in a Hate Train or Orgy of Blood just to even it out.

I got some good stuff for this next one. Years in the making, but I think it will have been well worth the wait.

Booberella
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:33 am  Reply with quote

Well I think it goes without saying that there's many of us on here chomping at the bit to hear it!!!!
I think even with regards to The Meteors, I tend to like the more 'darker' lyrics, and certainly with you guys. Not dark depressing, but more evil you know?
There are exceptions to that again with bands like the ballers, but again you look at 'Blood Feud' and thats such a great song and not 'trademark' and proves they can write.

But getting back to you all, that album is very visual in a way? I dont know if it makes sense, but you kind feel like you're watching some twisted scene in hell. I mean that in a really good way. It's got a nightmarish feel to it, and I like that. Psycho Down is like that for me.

Shafraneck
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:00 am  Reply with quote

I must add that as english isn't my native language I don't pay much attention to the lyrics. Of course I understand most of the lyrics, but I rather feel the mood of the songs and consider how it influences my brains/minds/spinal cord/emotions etc Smile)).

On this basis I chose my favourite songs from the "Psychobillyun baptism" Very Happy

Ukrabilly Bang #10
mancpaul
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:12 am  Reply with quote
Hooty Hoo

this album is a definate fave of mine -"hunting humans" is my favourite song on the cd
they were bloody good live when the played the rumble too
looking forward to some new stuff!
gregifying!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:13 am  Reply with quote

This album is a must have from 'All Torn Up', 'Hunting Humans', etc it'll get your adrenaline pumping and singing along in no time! Its rockabilly roots are there with some in your face punk and good ole' rock n' roll
tobe
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:04 pm  Reply with quote
Wreckmaster

Dillinquent / orgy + humans are stand out tracks for me... the whole album is a class slab of work tho ..... but i'm sure ya can match it Chuck !
Great review too !